CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1264266
Date first listed:
11-Aug-1951
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1264266.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 01:06:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Terrington St. John
National Grid Reference:
TF 53931 15853

Details

TERRINGTON ST. JOHN CHURCH ROAD TF 5315

15/19 Church of St. John

11.8.51

G.V. I

Parish church. Early C14 church, remodelled C15. Tower of late C13 origin. Nave, aisles and chancel. Building first rendered 1835, tower restored 1843, remainder 1853. Rendered Barnack stone and some brick. Slate and lead roofs. South-west tower originally detached. 3 stages with angle buttresses stepped to belfry where they become polygonal. Lancets to north, south and west on ground floor. 2-light cusped ringing chamber windows and 2-light ogee cusped belfry windows. Crenellated parapet with corner turrets capped with ball finials upon tapering stalks. Tower connected to south aisle by 3 storey extension comprising undercroft, priests' room and 2 passageways. 2 square- headed lancets to ground floor. Plain tiled roof slopes to second storey. This passageway lit through one pointed quatrefoil. Square brick walk gives external access to ringing chamber door in tower. Set-off to gabled top storey which is a passage between nave roof and tower staircase. One cusped lancet to south, hollow chamfered arched doorway to clerestory and roof of stone slabs. North facade of this extension is a sheer wall pierced intermittently by lancets. C13 undercut moulded west nave doorway with hood moulding just embracing ogival form. 2 orders engaged shafts. C15 5-light transomed west window above. Stepped buttress to north. Early C14 2-light reticulated west window of north aisle. Angle buttress to north-west corner. Aisle windows of 3-lights with supermullions and C15 date except first bay of nave : on south and north a 2-light C14 Y tracery window with rounded trefoils. Clerestory of alternating circular and arched windows, the circles with cusped 4-petal flowers arranged diagonally, the remainder of 2 trefoil centres supporting a cusped punched vescia in centre. Gabled south porch with 2 side buttresses north and south. Arched entrance with double wave and roll and hollow mouldings. 2 square spirlets flank gable. Porch with barrel vault supported on moulded transverse ribs. Late C13 undercut inner south door mouldings. Nave clerestory with parapets terminating at east end in polygonal turrets. Turret to north expanded into rood stair turret. In east gable 2 square-headed windows. Chancel lit by 2 3-light C15 windows to south and one to north. South priests' door. Angle buttresses to east. 5-light Perpendicular east window. East bay on north side blank except for 2 segmental arched niches. Further niche below window in west bay. Interior. 5 bay double chamfered arcade on octagonal piers. Moulded bases and polygonal capitals. Circular clerestory windows over apexes of arches. Interior of west door with basket rere arch. Stilted rere arches to north and south nave doors with head stops. Flat nave roof dated 1688 comprising tie beams dropping to wall-posts an arched braces. 3 tiers moulded butt purlins. Aisle roofs of principals resting on wall posts, each alternate principal with a straight brace. One tier roll edged butt purlins. South aisle roof partly altered, north is C19. Chancel arch piers encased in panelling and painted to imitate pilasters, the arch also encased. Arched rood stair door to north. C20 chancel roof of principal and collar construction. Opposing priests' doors. 2 arched aumbries in north chancel wall. South aisle east chapel with piscina of rounded trefoil form. In nave 5 C18 box pews with plain panelling and HL hinges. Octagonal font dated 1632 : traceried stem and strapwork to bowl. Painted Royal Arms to George II. Undercroft of passage between tower and south aisle in form of barrel vaulted passage with 2 chamfered ribs leading to base of tower through site of original tower east door. Passage of brick, as is interior of tower. Priest's room above also barrel vaulted in brick, again with 2 ribs. 2 arched recesses to north. 2 upper passages similarly barrel vaulted.

Listing NGR: TF5393115853

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
428328
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/02119/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Graham Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].