WELLAND VIADUCT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1264288
Date first listed:
06-Jul-1987
Statutory Address:
WELLAND VIADUCT

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1264288.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2021 at 07:00:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
WELLAND VIADUCT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Rutland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Seaton
County:
Northamptonshire
District:
East Northamptonshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Harringworth
National Grid Reference:
SP9135497773

Details

This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 09/10/17

SP 99 NW, SP 9098-9198; 5/125, 10/125

SEATON and HARRINGWORTH, Welland Viaduct

II

Railway viaduct. 1876-1878. For the Kettering to Manton branch of the Midland Railway Company. Blue Staffordshire brick, part repaired in red brick, with red brick parapet. An impressive row of 82 tall semi-circular arches on piers, articulated at varying intervals by plain pilasters. Inner faces of piers each have two recessed panels. Parapet has stone coping and rests on corbelled stone string. Once every three arches there is a projecting parapet pier on corbelled panel. Piers 60-82 are in Seaton parish; remainder are in Harringworth parish, Northamptonshire. The viaduct is an imposing landmark sweeping right across the Welland valley.

This asset was previously listed twice. The duplicate record (List entry number 1286623 was removed from the List on 10 January 2019. The remaining record (List entry number 1264288) falls within the parishes of both Seaton and Harringworth.

Listing NGR: SP9135497773

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
428247
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/07110/36
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Tomalin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].