Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1264291.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 00:08:42.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Gedling (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 54569 51526


PAPPLEWICK CHURCH LANE SK 55 SW 1/126 Church of St.James 13.10.66 G.V. I Parish church. C14, rebuilt 1795 for Frederick Montagu of Papplewick Hall. Restored 1940. Coursed and squared rubble with ashlar dressings. Gothick Revival style. Moulded plinth, cornice, impost band, ramped crenellated parapet with crocketed pinnacles. Most windows are C13 style double lancets with Y tracery. West tower, nave and chancel under continuous roof, organ chamber, south porch. West tower, 2 stages, has moulded string course and eaves band with 4 gargoyles. Crenellated pinnacled parapet. Canted stair turret to north-west, with 4 lights. First stage has to south, a chamfered casement. To west, a lancet with hood mould. Second stage has 4 Decorated double lancets with hood moulds and mask stops. Nave and chancel has to north, a diagonal buttress, single corner stack, plain eaves band, and to west, a leaded casement. South side has 5 lancets. East end has a lancet and pedimented coped gable with cross. Blank quatrefoil in pediment. Organ chamber has a mullioned casement to north. South porch has to south, pointed doorway with crocketed ogee hood and tympanum inscribed "FM 1795". Above, ramped pedimented gable with blank quatrefoil. On each side, a similar blank quatrefoil. Interior has stone benches and plaster ceiling. Moulded doorway and above it, re- set C13 carving and C14 finial. Nave and chancel has plaster ceiling, 1985, and panelled dado, 1940. West end has 2 doors with leaded quatrefoil overlights, flanking Arms of George III. Above, chamfered and rebated tower arch, C14. North side has panelled gallery on clustered wooden columns, returned across west end. To north, double staircase with turned newels and stick balusters. Gallery east end has Squire's pew. East end has stained glass window by F. Eginton, 1795, incorporating C15 fragments. South side has central ogee headed recess flanked above by single quatrefoils. South side windows have fragments of C15 stained glass. Fittings include C12 font with broken round bowl with blind arcading on stepped and chamfered base. Font, 1795, with moulded marble bowl on reeded wooden stem. Moulded square walnut pulpit, 1795, with ogee headed panels. C19 and C20 benches, stalls, desk, lectern and altar rail. Early C18 chip-carved chest. Memorials include 2 large marble wall tablets with Arms, flanking pilasters, urns and obelisks, late C18, to Lady Wearg and Charles Montagu. Sarcophagus-shaped wall tablet with Arms and obelisk, late C18, to Lady Colladon. C18 hatchment. Gothick style tablet, 1845. 4 incised cross slabs, C14. Ashlar and bronze War Memorial tablets, 1918 and 1945.

Listing NGR: SK5456851531

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 33 Nottinghamshire,


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00941/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Dennis Harvey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].