Church of St John the Baptist

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1264419
Date first listed:
06-Jan-1984
Statutory Address:
Church of St John the Baptist, Parvis Road

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St John the Baptist
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1264419.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 13:41:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St John the Baptist, Parvis Road

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Woking (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 04413 60981

Details

TQ 06SW 2/107

BOROUGH OF WOKING WEST BYFLEET PARVIS ROAD Church of St John the Baptist

II Church. 1910 by W.D Caröe. Knapped flint with random stone blocks, stone dressings; plain tiled roof with wood shingled bell turret and broach spire to west end.

Cruciform plan with nave and aisles, transepts and chancel; C20 vestry/church hall to north east corner. Narthex to west end with two doors on deep reveals to outer bays, most windows under four centre hoods with panelled tracery; east window semicircular and filled with quadrofoil tracery. Foundation stone of 1910 and inscribed with the name of the architect in a buttress at the east end.

Interior: five bay nave arcade on piers of cruciform section; crenallations and trefoil carvings to the top of the arcade. Barrel vaulted nave with stone vaulted aisles, panelled vaults to the north chancel chapel and chancel. Early C20 fittings to the chancel, including reredos. Double sedelia with rib vaults to niches and ogee arched piscina to south chancel wall. Hexagonal stone font.

Listing NGR: TQ 0441360981

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
427835
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971), 126

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/10170/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Norman Wigg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].