This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1264550



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Wem Rural

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 28-Oct-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 427503

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


WEM RURAL C.P. B 5063 (south side) SJ 42 NE 10/126 The Ditches Hall - 28.10.60 GV II* Farmhouse, now house. Dated 1612 with later additions and alterations, principally of early C20. Timber framed with plaster infill on sandstone and brick plinth; machine tile roof. Baffle-entry plan in 5 framed bays with central 2-storey porch; short range at right-angles to rear on right, first floor of this and prominent brick additions to rear are early C20. 2 storeys and gable-lit attic. Framing: close studding with long straight tension braces and middle rails to ground and first floors. Continuous jetty with moulded bressumer to first floor and jetty to attic to right gable end; this has herringbone decoration and carved corner brackets. Late C19/early C20 timber frame to left gable end without jetty. 1:1:1 windows; original 5-light chamfered mullioned and transomed casements with leaded lights and moulded cills to ground floor, first floor of right gable end and first floor of porch, outer lights of latter now infilled. 3-light C19 mullioned and transomed windows on first floor to front but retaining C17 cills; small 2-light mullion windows immediately to left and right of porch on first floor, latter now infilled. Porch has chamfered mullions to sides and fleur-de-lys decoration above moulded bressumer to apex; inner nail-studded plank and muntin door with long fleur-de-lys pointed strap hinges and date "1612" on door handle. Central axial red brick ridge stack with paired and rebated shafts and engineering brick capping. Cellar beneath rear range. Interior: ground floor has 2 large rooms with lobby in front of stack; deep-chamfered ceiling beams and heavy joists with dragon beams supporting jetty to corners. Rectangular oak panelling throughout including to inset wall cupboards. Left ground- floor room has stone fireplace with moulded arch, painted armorial shield and moulded overmantel; similar fireplace to right ground-floor room has early C20 brick fireplace inserted. Main room to C20 additions has reused chamfered ceiling beams and stone fireplace with carved consoles; staircase in rear projection early C20 in C17 style. First floor: rectangular panelling throughout with fluted frieze and lozenge- shaped patterns, including to wall between 2 left rooms and partition between right room and small room to rear right corner; chamfered ceiling beams and timber frame exposed to original back wall. Stone fireplaces with chamfered edges to square-headed arches and brick backs. Plank and muntin and panelled doors throughout on both floors. Double-purlin roof in 5 bays with collar and tie beam trusses and raking struts from tie beams, straight windbraces. Stack has plaster inscription recording its repair in 1822. B.O.E. p.310.

Listing NGR: SJ4961829351

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 310

National Grid Reference: SJ 49618 29351


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1264550 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2017 at 11:07:08.

End of official listing