CHURCH OF ST LUKE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1264583
Date first listed:
23-Jun-1989
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LUKE, RECTORY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LUKE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1264583.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 07:04:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LUKE, RECTORY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Rushcliffe (District Authority)
Parish:
Upper Broughton
National Grid Reference:
SK 68342 26238

Details

UPPER BROUGHTON RECTORY ROAD SK62NE (north side) 6/146 Church of St Luke 1960 GV I Church. Remains of south arcade circa 1200, north arcade C13, tower C13 and C14, porch 1733, north aisle and chancel rebuilt 1855 by S. S. Teulon. Predominantly ironstone, thinly coursed sandstone porch, blue lias chancel, all with limestone dressings. Lead roofs, the steeply-pitched chancel roof is tiled. Nave of 4 internal bays, south porch, north aisle, 2-bay chancel, west tower. The porch has a quatrefoil frieze (re-set) and a round-arched portal and within, a fragment of a Norman tympanum. Two, tall, south windows, one of 2- lights the other of 3-lights both with cusped intersecting tracery. Two, square-headed, 2-light clerestorey windows on north side. Similar, larger windows to the later north aisle. The chancel has 2-light windows each with a foiled circle in head. 3-light east window with a star in the head. The 2 stage tower has later clasping buttresses to lower stage, small lancet west window, 2-light, louvred bell-chamber openings and quatrefoil frieze under crenellated parapet. Interior: remains of earlier south arcade built into south wall: one double-chamfered round arch, on round piers with moulded capitals one with zig-zag decoration the other with nailhead. 4-bay double-chamfered north arcade on octagonal piers with moulded capitals which have nailhead decoration. C14 octagonal font with relief tracery in the panels. Slate memorials on north wall: 1788 to John Brett, elegantly shaped and decorated with flowing foliage, signed W. Barnes; 1823 to Elizabeth, wife of John Brett, signed Pratt, Nottingham. N Pevsner. The Buildings of England, 1979.

Listing NGR: SK6834226238

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
426890
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire, (1979)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Apr 2007
Reference: IOE01/16364/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr James Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].