SAVOY CHAPEL (THE QUEEN'S CHAPEL OF THE SAVOY)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1264731

Date first listed: 24-Feb-1958

Statutory Address: SAVOY CHAPEL (THE QUEEN'S CHAPEL OF THE SAVOY), SAVOY HILL WC2

Map

Ordnance survey map of SAVOY CHAPEL (THE QUEEN'S CHAPEL OF THE SAVOY)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1264731 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 10:10:18.

Location

Statutory Address: SAVOY CHAPEL (THE QUEEN'S CHAPEL OF THE SAVOY), SAVOY HILL WC2

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: City of Westminster (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 30568 80743

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 3080 NE CITY OF WESTMINSTER SAVOY HILL, WC2 73/41 Savoy Chapel (The 24.2.58 Queen's Chapel of the Savoy) G.V. II* Chapel royal. 1510-16,built as part of the Hospital of St John-the-Baptist, Savoy; south wall and bell turret c1830 by Sir Robert Smirke, 1864 restoration by Sidney Smirke; adapted for the Royal Victorian Order 1940 with alterations and additions 1956-57 by A B Knapp-Fisher. Stone rubble with fine ashlar dressings. Aisleless with transepts. Small square tower with simple bell turret with pointed arch openings to south end. 5 bays. 3 light, 4-centred arched windows with drip moulds all restored by S Smirke. Interior has enriched Tudor panelled ceiling. Tudor monuments. Reset C13.to C15 stained glass; etc.

Listing NGR: TQ3056880743

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 427056

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing