CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDELENE
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDELENE, CLACTON ROAD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1265150.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 11-May-2021 at 15:28:32.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDELENE, CLACTON ROAD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Tendring (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TM 09858 19622
THORRINGTON OFF CLACTON ROAD
TM 10 NE
6/144 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. Early C14 Chancel, Nave and North Aisle with later repairs. Late C14 south porch. Circa 1480 west tower. Late C19 repairs and restorations when the north arcade, east gable and tops of walls were rebuilt. Flint and rubble walls. Red plain tiled roofs with ornate ridge tiles. Rainwater heads dated 1860. Flint flushwork west tower with limestone dressings. Chancel east wall, restored C14 chamfered 3 light window, 2 centred head, south wall C14 east window of 2 trefoiled lights in a 2 centred head, C14 west window incorporates a chamfered doorway with a segmental head, chamfered 2 centred head to window. South wall of Nave east window of 3 cinquefoiled lights, moulded 4 centred arch and label mainly C19 but with C15 jambs and splays. C19 trefoiled 2 centred arch west window. C14 gabled south porch with quoins and 2 centred arch of 2 chamfered orders of Roman brick and tile. Each return has a restored window of 2 trefoiled lights in a square head. 2 centred arch slit light over doorway. Moulded wall plates and scissor braced roof. C14 niche with pointed head. South doorway C19 2 centred arch with label over, vertically boarded door with ornate hinges. North aisle, east wall window C19 of 2 trefoiled lights, trefoil over, 4 centred arch head, stone plinth with bench mark to north east corner. North wall, moulded band and plinth; there are 5 windows the 2 eastern C14 trefoiled ogee lights, the third C14 obtusely pointed light, 2 western C15, of 2 trefoiled lights under square heads. Between the latter window is the C15 north doorway with chamfered jambs, 2 centred head, moulded label with head stops. West wall C15 window of one trefoiled light. Circa 1480 west tower, crenellated of 3 stages with moulded plinth, bands between stages and stepped angle buttresses, angled stair turret to north east. Crenellated parapet with flint flushwork cusped and crocketted panels. West doorway, moulded jambs, 2 centre arched, label with head stops. Vertically boarded door with strap hinges. West window of 3 cinquefoiled lights, vertical tracery under a 4 centred head. Second stage, south and west faces have 2 centred arch windows with recessed red brick arches. Each face of bell chamber has a window of 2 trefoiled ogee lights under 2 centred arch heads. Stair turret with small quatrefoiled lights. Scratch dials to south west buttress. Interior. Chancel roof, boarded barrel vault with moulded ribs and purlins, carved bosses, moulded and crenellated wall plates on stone corbels, C19 stained glass to windows. C19 painted Commandments to east wall. Sedilia, low cill to south window. Piscina to south wall, C14, restored C19, trefoiled head, moulded 2 centred arch, octofoil drain. Altar, medieval, slab of Bethersden marble, chamfered edge, small plain consecration crosses to each corner, unusual central large crossed cross with crossed base supports. C19 carved and panelled wooden reredos. C19 wrought iron altar rails with moulded wood top rail. 2 C19 carved chairs. No Chancel arch. North aisle and vestry separated by a C19 carved wooden screen with crenellated top rail. C17 plain oak chest with strap hinges. There is a tapering coffin lid partly hidden by a wall. A circa 1600 carved table in course of restoration at time of re-survey. North aisle of 3 bays. C19 scissor braced roof. Floor slab with brasses and indents to east bay of arcade, adjacent to organ, to John Clare and his 2 wives Joan and Katherine (Pirton) circa 1564, figure of Katherine, 2 sons and 3 daughters, 2 shields. C19 north arcade of 3 bays, moulded 2 centred arches. Large circular columns, square bases, water leaf carved capitals. There is a 2 centred arch niche adjacent to altar rail. Nave. C19 scissor braced roof, moulded wall plates. Throughout the church floors of C19 coloured tile or herringboned wood blocks. Semi-octagonal wooden pulpit moulded and traceried panels, splayed stand. Adjacent to the pulpit on the south wall is a C17 wrought iron hour glass stand. C19 stained glass to windows. Font, C16 octagonal with panelled sides 3 with instruments of the Passion others with square flowers one with ? pomegranate or melon, buttressed stem with trefoiled panels, moulded base. West tower, dated circa 1477-1483 by brass on floor, "Here lieth John Deth who was of special benefactor to this Church and Bell Tower who died 20 April AD MCCCLXXXIII, and Margery his wife, 1477 pray the mercy of God for their souls". Moulded 2 centred tower arch of 2 orders, the inner resting on semi-octagonal shafts with moulded capitals and bases. Ringing chamber ceiling, 4 moulded curved braces meet in the centre with a carved boss of a quatrefoil enclosing a rose. Chamfered 2 centred doorway to stair turret. 2 C15 pointed head niches to side walls, said to be 2 similar niches to stair turret wall, may have been used as lockers. 5 peal boards to walls. 6 bells, 3 by Gardiner, Sudbury 1732, one by Warner, London 1860, one inscribed, "I am the sixth, the first did ring the year of the crowning Edward King AD 1902". One C15 by Henry Jordan inscribed "Sit Nomen Domini Benedictum". Various scratchings said to be masons marks to Tower arch and a 5 pointed molet, date 1659 on jambs of west doorway. RCHM 1.
Listing NGR: TM0985819622
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex South East, (1923)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing