CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1265165
Date first listed:
06-Sep-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1265165.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2020 at 03:53:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Cotswold (District Authority)
Parish:
Ozleworth
National Grid Reference:
ST 79425 93288

Details

OZLEWORTH OZLEWORTH HAMLET ST 79 SE 5/145 Church of St Nicholas 6.9.54 GV II*

Redundant small Anglican church. Probably mid C12 foundation, chancel extended in C14, nave lengthened and whole restored in 1873 by Rev. W.H. Lowder. Random coursed stone, stone slate roof sprocketed to tower and with coped end verges, partly removed for repair at time of survey (April 1986). Central hexagonal tower with chancel and nave, and south porch. Tower has 2-light window to each face on upper section with central shaft with voluted capital and cable-mould necking within an arched recess with chamfered abaci. North side of chancel has 2 cusped single lights and central trefoil head priest's door, and nave has 2 single lights and blocked chamfered round headed doorway in early section. Similar fenestration to south side. Two-light ogee head east window. Gabled south porch has inner doorway of 2 orders, inner similar to north, outer with shafts with stiff leaf capitals and additional decorative work probably of C19. Church now vested in Redundant Churches Fund and under repair at time of survey. Interior inaccessible but for a detailed description see David Verey, Buildings of England - Gloucestershire: the Cotswolds, 1979.

Listing NGR: ST7942593288

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
425830
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Nov 2006
Reference: IOE01/16186/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Peters. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].