CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1265318
Date first listed:
13-Oct-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1265318.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 21:47:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Gedling (District Authority)
Parish:
Linby
National Grid Reference:
SK 53453 50892

Details

LINBY CHURCH LANE SK 55 SW (west side) 1/73 Church of 13.10.66 St. Michael G.V. II* Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15, C16, C18, C19. Restored 1898 by Austin, Johnson and Hicks of Newcastle, and 1914. Coursed and squared and random rubble and ashlar. Slate roofs. Ashlar dressings. Partial chamfered plinths. West tower, nave, chancel, south aisle, vestries, north porch. West tower, C13 and C14, 2 stages, has moulded string course and eaves band with 2 gargoyles to south. Moulded crenellated parapet with 4 crocketed pinnacles. South west corner has canted stair turret with 5 lights. First stage has to south, chamfered lancet. To west, moulded C13 door with hood mould and above it, late C14 triple lancet with panel tracery, hood mould and mask stops. Second stage has 4 C14 cusped double lancets with hood moulds. To north, clock. Nave, 3 bays, has to north 2 late C18 double lancets with Y tracery. Chancel east end has late C19 cusped triple lancet, C15 style, with hood mould. Coped gable with cross. South side has to left, blocked door and to its right, C13 cusped lancet, To right again, C12 double lancet with hood mould. South aisle, 3 bays, C.14, raised C16, has moulded eaves band and coped west gable. East end has restored Cl4 ogee headed triple lancet with reticulated tracery and hood mould. South side has to left, blocked doorway. To its right, C13 double lancet with hood mould, and mask stops. To its right, C16 cusped double lancet with chamfered square reveal and hood mould. South west vestry, mid-C20, 3 bays, has parapet and to west, door flanked by single casements. To south, a casement. Lean-to north vestry, late C19, has 2 buttresses and coped gables. To west, shouldered doorway. To north, 2 lancets. North porch, early C16, has 2 diagonal buttresses each with traceried and shield panels. Gable has shield panel and cross finial. Slab roof. Moulded doorway with hood mould, flanked to left by a squint. Interior has stone benches and chamfered transverse rib vault. C19 inner door with C12 tympanum. Tower arch, C13, chamfered and rebated, has moulded imposts. Nave south arcade, C13, 3 bays, has 2 octagonal piers and responds. Moulded square bases and nailhead and cable moulded capitals. Arches double chamfered and rebated. North side has 2 windows by Hardman, 1875. Kingpost roof, late C18, partly ceiled. Chancel has plain arch, Cl3. North side has four centred arched opening to vestry, and traceried C15 style screen. To its right, small cusped ogee recess. East end has C20 timber dado and gradine, and window with stained glass, C19. South side has to east, 2 windows and to west, blocked door and hagioscope. Scissor braced roof, C19. South aisle has panelled dado, 1972. East end has stained glass window by P & Q, 1958. South side has cusped ogee headed piscina and aumbry. Fittings include carved and shaped C19 benches and late C20 stalls and desks. Heavily carved C19 octagonal timber pulpit. C19 lectern and octagonal font. Carved C18 armchair. Large chip-carved and inscribed settle with Arms of John Ayre Sitwell, 1652. Carved late Cl7 armchair. Memorials include fragments of C14 cross, alabaster tablet on corbels, 1557, and moulded ashlar tablets, 1679 and 1684. Marble and slate tablets 1806 and 1891. 2 carved wood panels, one inscribed "Rich. Roe in Eperston Fecit 1700".

Listing NGR: SK5345350892

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
425323
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00941/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Dennis Harvey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].