This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1265903



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Eden

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Newbiggin

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Feb-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 423359

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



16/98 Newbiggin Hall 6.2.68 G.V. II*

Large house, dating from mid C15 with later alterations and additions. Coursed, squared rubble and ashlar with quoins. Hipped, graduated slate roofs with corniced stone chimneys; embattled parapets. The tower, to left of centre on north side, is known as the Jerusalem; probably built in the 1460s as a temporary refuge for the Crackenthorpe family who fought on the losing side in the Wars of the Roses. A more permanent tower was added to the rear in the early C16; of 2 storeys with corner turrets, life size sculpted figures in armour were placed on the ridge but these were removed until 1983 when 2 were returned to Newbiggin. In 1533 a hall was added to link the Jerusalem to a third tower, which was rebuilt by Anthony Salvin in 1844. The hall was remodelled in 1569 and a new, oval, dining room was built at 1st floor level in 1796. A further wing was added to the north corner c1890 by C.J. Ferguson. The majority of windows are mullioned C19 'medieval' reconstructions. Internally, the original newel stair to the Jerusalem survives. There is a late C16 carved overmantel and re-used panelling in the ground floor of the C16 tower. Some original fireplaces and doors.

Listing NGR: NY6280228683

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NY 62802 28683


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1265903 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2017 at 10:11:05.

End of official listing