This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1266157



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Leeds

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish: Harewood

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 30-Mar-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 422858

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


HAREWOOD CHURCH LANE SE3145/3144 LS14 (south side, off) Harewood Park 14/63 Church of All Saints 30.3.66 I


Parish church (redundant),C15 restored 1793 and 1862-3 by Sir G. G. Scott. Well-coursed gritstone, Westmorland green-slate roof. West tower, nave aisles, south porch, chancel, north vestry. Perpendicular in style. Plinth, ground-floor band, sill band. All corners have angle buttresses with offsets and crocketed gablets. West front: low squat tower embraced by aisles with lean-to roofs has pointed-arched doorway of 3 orders with hoodmould and carved-face stops with above 5-light west window with panel tracery. Buttresses at junction with aisles. Chamfered band, recessed 2nd stage has 2-light belfry window to each face. That to south has large clock face. Embattled parapet with corner rainwater chutes. Aisles have 3-light windows and clearly show earlier roof line below C19 embattled parapet. 7-bay aisles with 2-light window to left of C18 porch with 2-centred arched doorway with sundial in apex of gable engraved "Robert Smith 1775". Fine inner doorway has moulded surround with broach stops with roof line of earlier porch above. 3-light windows with cusped lights and panel tracery, hoodmoulds with medieval carved-face stops. Articulated by offset buttresses with gablets; one engraved with mass-dial. Band and parapet with Gothic roll-moulded coping. 3-light east windows in angle with chancel, embattled parapet. Chancel: single 3-light window. Set in angle with north-aisle, flat-roofed square vestry. 5-light east window with Gothick glazed quatrefoil c1793 set in apex of embattled gable. Buttresses capped by crocketed pinnacles.

Interior: tower is penetrated by 3 tall pointed arches leading directly into 4-bay nave which has graceful pointed-arched arcades carried on tall octagonal columns without capitals the chamfers running into the 2 orders of the arches. C19 roof carried on corbels at the junction of earlier roof line, the roof being raised 5 courses. Running round the aisle windows is a continuous moulded sill band. Eastern 2 bays of aisles occupied by Chantry chapels: Gascoigne and Redman chapels. Both are separated from the aisle by tall pointed arch in line with chancel arch, each have niches flanking east window. Gascoigne (south) chapel has tomb recess and semi-octagonal piscina. The glory of the church are the set of medieval alabaster monuments restored 1979-81: 6 recumbent couples on tomb chests. One of the figures is Sir William Gascoigne, Lord Chief Justice, in judge's robes c1419. They remain the largest collection of alabaster monuments in a parish church within the dates 1419-1510. They are all members of families connected with owners of land now forming the Harewood Estate. Fine wall monument to Sir Thomas Denison c1765 by N. Hedges (London). Furnishings: Norman font has shallow bowl and rope-moulded foot set on later base. C19 octagonal pulpit, high Victorian Gothic with shafted marble columns and finely- carved stone panels. Oak-panelled Sanctuary c1920. Altar rail and gates memorial to King George V by H.R.H. Princess Royal in which is incorporated 4 insignia, the Orders of the British Empire; the Thistle; the Garter; and St. Patrick.

In the care of the Redundant Churches Fund. Illustrated in D. Linstrum, West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture, (1978) pp162, 163. N. Pevsner, Yorkshire West Riding (1974) p243. P. Routh and R. Knowles, The Medieval Monuments of Harewood, (1985 - Wakefield Historical Publications).

Listing NGR: SE3137945005

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Linstrum, D, West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture, (1978), 162-163
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967), 243
Routh, , Knowles, , The Medieval Monuments of Harewood, (1985)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 45 West Yorkshire,

National Grid Reference: SE 31373 45003


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1266157 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2017 at 11:41:11.

End of official listing