This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Stanley House

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: Stanley House

List entry Number: 1266547


Stanley House, 550 Kings Road, London, SW10 0UA

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Kensington and Chelsea

District Type: London Borough


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Jun-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 421295

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 11/09/2014

TQ 2677 SW 67/3

KING'S ROAD, SW10, No. 550 (Stanley House)

(Formerly listed as Principal's House College of St Mark and St John, KING'S ROAD (north side), SW3)



Substantial house. Circa 1691, with later alterations and additions. Basement and pedimented dormers. Five windows. Brick. Red brick pier projections to sides and red brick band first floor. Wood block bracketed caves cornice below slate roof. Red gauged flat arches and dressings to windows. Stone surround to entrance. Rear elevation similar but former doorway (now window) has stone arhitrave, consoles, pulvinated frieze and moulded head. Two storeys, later brick extension on north-east side, with one storey stone loggia with square columns, contains first casts taken of the Elgin Marbles. (R.C.H.M. and Survey of London, Vol IV).

Listing NGR: TQ2608477328

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Survey of London' in The Parish of Chelsea Part 2: Volume 4, , Vol. 4, (1913)

National Grid Reference: TQ 26084 77328


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1266547 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 11:32:19.

End of official listing