CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1267069
Date first listed:
21-Oct-1949
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, STEEPLE END

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1267069.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 17:58:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, STEEPLE END

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Waveney (District Authority)
Parish:
Halesworth
National Grid Reference:
TM 38602 77364

Details

HALESWORTH

641/1/84 STEEPLE END 21-OCT-49 CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

II*



The present building dates from the C14 and C15 in the main, and consists of nave, chancel, north and south aisles and additional north and south aisles built within the last hundred years. There are also 3 chapels, on the south, north east and north transept. The vestry was built in 1410. Suckling states that the main building"probably owes its erection to the Argentein family." The square tower dates from C15, being completed about 1420. There is a marble tablet to the memory of Sir Henry Bedingfield, who died in 1687 (see Gothic House) and to Charles D`Urban who died in 1769, infant brother of Sir Benjamin D'Urban, also a native of Halesworth and Governor of the Cape of Good Hope, after whom Durban, Natal, was named.



Listing NGR: TM3860077360

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
419786
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Suckling, , The History and Antiquities of the County of Suffolk, (1846)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 May 2005
Reference: IOE01/12810/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Norman H Sumter. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].