CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1267923
Date first listed:
21-Nov-1996
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN, NORTH CLIFFE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1267923.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 15:07:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN, NORTH CLIFFE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
South Cliffe
National Grid Reference:
SE 87310 36956

Details



SOUTH CLIFFE SE 83 NE NORTH CLIFFE (West side) 1017- /11/10006 Church of St John

II

Parish church. 1873. By Lord Grimthorpe. Coursed rubble stone with ashlar dressings and plain tile roofs. Raised coped gables with kneelers and cross finial. Ritual west end topped by square bell turret with moulded round arched bell opening to each face and pyramidal hipped roof. Ritual west front has central pointed arched doorway with gable above. Either side single lancets and between a taller central lancet. Sides each have 3 tall lancets to nave section with buttress dividing off the chancel with 2 similar lancets. T o the west a projecting gabled organ chamber. Ritual east end has 4 lancet windows, the central 2 taller. Above small mandala shaped window. INTERIOR has plain brick walls with deeply recessed windows with roll-moulded surrounds and chamfered stone lintels. Pointed wooden chancel arch supported on ashlar wall columns. Chancel has single pointed ashlar arch to organ chamber. Simple wooden roof with collars. Circular stone pulpit with carved decorative panels. Wooden pews and altar rail with Gothic tracery. Minton encaustic tiles.



Listing NGR: SE8731036956

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
462443
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00980/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Edward Openshaw. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].