COMMAND HOUSE AND ATTACHED ENTRANCE RAILINGS, STABLE AND CARRIAGE HOUSE AND REAR WALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1268227
Date first listed:
24-May-1971
Date of most recent amendment:
31-Aug-2004
Statutory Address:
COMMAND HOUSE AND ATTACHED ENTRANCE RAILINGS, STABLE AND CARRIAGE HOUSE AND REAR WALL, DOCK ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1268227.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2020 at 14:25:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
COMMAND HOUSE AND ATTACHED ENTRANCE RAILINGS, STABLE AND CARRIAGE HOUSE AND REAR WALL, DOCK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Medway (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 75696 68373

Details



762-1/2/6 DOCK ROAD 24-MAY-1971 (West side) Command House and attached entrance railings, stable and carriage house, and rear wall (Formerly listed as: DOCK ROAD Command House and attached entrance ra railings, outbuildings and rear wall) (Formerly listed as: HER MAJESTYS DOCKYARD House occupied by Deputy Armament Supply Officer, The Gun Wharf, Naval Section) (Formerly listed as: Storekeepers House)

GV II

Storekeeper's House then officer housing, now public house. c.1719 with late-C20 alterations. Red Flemish bond brick with stone dressings, gable stacks and an old tile valley roof, with hipped roofs to outer blocks, all behind brick parapets. Queen Anne style. Two storeys over raised basement; double-depth plan. EXTERIOR: Main range of 5-window bays, with flanking 2-storey, 1-window bay wings. Symmetrical front has a raised basement, string band, cornice and parapet. A wide central flight of steps up to central first floor has curtails, wrought-iron railings and column newels; doorcase has fluted Doric pilasters, triglyph frieze and projecting modillion cornice; door has 8 raised panels, panelled reveals and soffit. Gauged brick segmental arched windows with 6/6-pane sashes, those to first floor original and second floor replacements with horns. Flanking wings have cornices continued from the main range, wide tripartite windows of central 6/6-pane sashes and 2/2-pane sashes to ground and first floor and under gauged brick arches; return elevations with ground and first floor 6/6-pane sashes under similar arches. Coped gables have two 6/6-pane attic sashes beneath an open lunette to valley, and a wide stack. 5-window rear section with a large central round-arched stair window. To South, attached stable and carriage house range. This has 2 wide segmental-arched openings at ground floor; first floor plat band and central shortened 3/3-pane sash with flanking sunken panels; gable end rendered. INTERIOR: Basement retains some original brick groin vaulting and stone flag floor. Interior otherwise altered in late-C20 for public house use. Stable range has late-C19 queen post roof. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: Attached rear brick wall extends approx. 30m from Southwest corner. HISTORY: Originally built as the Storekeeper's House and offices for Chatham Gun Wharf. The Gun Wharf occupies the site of the medieval wharves below the medieval church of St. Mary (rebuilt 1884-7 by Sir A Blomfield, q.v.). This was the site of the first Royal dockyard in the C16, and when in the C17 this relocated to a larger site, the area passed to the Board of Ordnance for use as the Gun Wharf (an arsenal and dock combined). The storekeeper's house first appears on a 1719 map of the site. An 1863 map identifies the building as Senior Ordnance Store Officer's Quarters, and the now demolished enormous Gun Carriage Store extended from the south wall of the coach house. In the late-C19 it housed the commissary and the Commissary General Office. Converted to public house use in 1978. SOURCES: Newman, J. The Buildings of England: West Kent and the Weald (London: 1976, p.204).

Group value with the Grade II former Gun Wharf ordnance building to the south (q.v.), Grade II Church of St Mary (q.v.), and the Chatham Lines, a Scheduled Monument.

Listed as a fine and externally unaltered early-C18 house that has additional historic interest as the earliest surviving building from the Chatham Gun Wharf.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
462085
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: West Kent and the Weald, (1976), 204

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00773/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr M.K Lofthouse. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].