PENDEEN LIGHTHOUSE AND KEEPERS' COTTAGES WITH COURTYARD WALLS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1268242

Date first listed: 12-Mar-1997

Statutory Address: PENDEEN LIGHTHOUSE AND KEEPERS' COTTAGES WITH COURTYARD WALLS

Map

Ordnance survey map of PENDEEN LIGHTHOUSE AND KEEPERS' COTTAGES WITH COURTYARD WALLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1268242 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 13:32:46.

Location

Statutory Address: PENDEEN LIGHTHOUSE AND KEEPERS' COTTAGES WITH COURTYARD WALLS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: St. Just

National Grid Reference: SW3789535893

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SW33NE 881-/3/10047

ST JUST PENDEEN Pendeen Lighthouse and Keeper Cottages with courtyard walls GV II

Lighthouse and 4 keepers' cottages. Completed 1900 and designed by Sir Thomas Matthews, the Trinity House Engineer-in-Chief between 1892 and 1915; constructed by Arther Carkeek of Redruth and lantern supplied by Messrs. Chance of Birmingham. Painted render over granite rubble, with flat concrete roof (designed to catch rainwater) and rendered stacks with cornices to cottages. PLAN: Each L-plan house is joined to make a rectangular plan with rear wings; the yards to the rear are enclosed by stone walls with timber wicket gates adjoining outhouses; the lighthouse tower is connected by a lobby attached to the centre of the main (west) elevation. EXTERIOR: Dwellings have raised plinths, flat-faced rustication to window and door surrounds and bold eaves band. Single storey cottages with 2-light transomed casements (some plastic replacements). Plank doors with overlights, and projecting porches to front and to left (north) and right (south) returns with single-light windows. Lighthouse tower: 8.6 metres (28ft 6inches) in height from ground to gallery, 4.2 metres (14ft) diameter, framing 3 metre (10ft) clear height of glazing, standard diamond and half-diamond glazing panels, steel panels in blank arc. First order lantern and murette on gallery; domed copper roof surmounted by ventilator and weather vane. Single-light windows, a very deep cornice surmounted by gallery walkway with iron balustrade. INTERIOR: dwellings retain original joinery. Tower has granite stairway up to service room, original cast-iron weight tube in centre. Curved oak cuipboard against wall, top section with glazed doors, lower section containing lead-lined sink. Slate steps up to lantern, housing First Order 900mm focal length, eight-panel, dioptric asymmetrical optic. Mounted on Chance brothers mercury float pedestal. The original Argand lamp (now on display at the Trinity Lighthouse Centre in Penzance) was replaced by an electric one in 1926. Part of an impressive group with the encircling walls and engine house (qqv). Built after Trinity House had become increasingly concerned about the treacherous waters around Pendeen Watch.

Listing NGR: SW3789535893

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 462059

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing