Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1268364.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Apr-2021 at 21:06:52.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Cambridge (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 44015 58205


TL 4458 CAMBRIDGE GRANGE ROAD (East side) 667- /16/10049 No.48


House. c.1880 probably by Basil Champneys. Converted to student residences late 1940s. Red brick laid in English bond; machine tile roof Principal facade to south. 2 storeys and doffiler attic in 4-window range. Centre 2 bays recessed and lit through 2 616 unhorned sashes to each floor. Scalloped sash hoods. Plain aprons to ground-floor windows, ogeed aprons above. One circular window to each floor to right and left of sashes, with keyblocks. These light fireplace inglenooks. Outer bays each with a fu1l-height canted tin1ber bay window consisting of central 2-light casements beneath an arched light with radial glazing bars. 616 unhorned sashes either side. Ground-floor casements developed into French windows. Panelled frieze between the storeys, and a pediment over ground floor. Gabled roof Wide weatherboarded gable-ends over the outer bays, each with one 2-light casement. Central gabled doffiler fitted with a 4-light casement. Twin panelled stacks on ridge. Symmetry of north elevation compromised by early C20 extension to left. One central tripartite window to each floor of same design as south front, similar gabled doffiler in roof Doorway set to right under deep coved hood. INTERIOR. Principal room to south-west corner on ground floor: eared tin1ber chimneypiece with scrolled bifurcated decoration and panelled mantel shelf. Panelled overmantel. Inglenook created by screen of panelled pilasters supporting a frieze. Open string staircase with turned balusters. (Girouard, M: Sweetness and Light: Oxford: 1977: 125)

Listing NGR: TL4401558205


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Girouard, M, Sweetness And Light, the Queen Anne Movement 1860 -1900, (1977 ), 125


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email Enri[email protected].