SCOTT POLAR RESEARCH INSTITUTE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1268369
Date first listed:
02-Aug-1996
Statutory Address:
SCOTT POLAR RESEARCH INSTITUTE, LENSFIELD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of SCOTT POLAR RESEARCH INSTITUTE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1268369 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 05:00:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
SCOTT POLAR RESEARCH INSTITUTE, LENSFIELD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cambridgeshire
District:
Cambridge (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 45421 57698

Details

TL 4557 NW LENSFIELD ROAD (South side) 667-/10/10055 Scott Polar Research Institute

II

Research institute and museum. 1933-34 by Sir Herbert Baker. Yellow brick laid in Flemish bond and stone dressings. Machine tiled roof. Classical style. 2 storeys and dormer attic. North front is a 4-window range, the central 2 window bays slightly recessed with stone quoins; stone quoins also to main angles. Central double timber doors within raised surround. One large arched 8112 sash right and left with carved keystones. Between them is a circular niche with bust of Captain Robert Falcon Scott, explorer. Stone platband between the floors. Outer bays with one 818 horned sash to each floor. Stone balustraded parapet, in centre of which is inscription: QV AESlVIT ARCANA POLIV ADET DEI. Hipped roof with 4 hipped dormer's fitted with casements. Returns with 3 818 horned sashes to each floor. 2 hipped dormers to west return, one to east return and a chimney stack. INTERIOR. The 2 arched windows light small interconnecting halls with shallow domed ceilings painted with aspect of globe from north pole (west) and south pole (east), by MacDonald Gill, 1934. Coffered transverse arch between the two. In front of halls are a pair of unfluted columns right and left, with palmette capitals painted gold.



Listing NGR: TL4542157698

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
461903
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Oct 2007
Reference: IOE01/16840/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter D. Dewar. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].