LABWORTH CAFE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1268484
Date first listed:
16-Apr-1996
Statutory Address:
LABWORTH CAFE, WESTERN ESPLANADE

Map

Ordnance survey map of LABWORTH CAFE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1268484.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-May-2020 at 14:39:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
LABWORTH CAFE, WESTERN ESPLANADE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Castle Point (District Authority)
Parish:
Canvey Island
National Grid Reference:
TQ 80142 82398

Details

TQ88SW CANVEY ISLAND WESTERN ESPLANADE Labworth Cafe

1658-/4/10002 II

Cafe with integral shelters. Built by Ove Arup, Christiani and Nielsen 1932-33. Functional International Moderne style. Built of reinforced concrete with flat roof. Circular drum of cafe on first floor level supported on piles (now concealed by rise in land level) with two arms extending from this enclosing shelters with steel piers on the seaward side. Hardwood windows extend the full diameter of the circle with some top opening lights. Entrance by doorcase in splayed bay facing sea supported on 4 metal columns. Staircase to cafe which has circular columns supporting ring beam and original shallow cone-shaped light fittings. Doors lead on to roofs of shelters which originally had thin steel columns supporting canopies. A pioneering building of the Modern Movement which predates the Gorilla House at London Zoo by Lubetkin and Tecton's Penguin House, and one of the only architectural designs by Ove Arup.





Listing NGR: TQ8014282398

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
461758
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/12662/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Angela Clark. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].

Back
to top