Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, BENGEO
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1268838.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 19:46:52.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 32484 13600



TL3213NW NEW ROAD, Bengeo 817-1/6/276 (South side) Church of Holy Trinity, Bengeo


Parish church. 1855, architect Benjamin Ferrey, chancel refurbished 1884, architect EB Ferrey. MATERIALS: Kentish Ragstone, coursed squared rubble, with ashlar dressings, yellow sandstone windows, buttresses with flint panels, old tile roofs. STYLE: Early English C13 Gothic Revival. PLAN: west tower, spire, nave, aisles and chancel. EXTERIOR: west tower with angle buttresses in 4 stages, twin lancet openings to belfry at top of all 4 faces, with 2-light louvres and circles above. Carved cornice band with geometrical foliated ornament, broach spire with iron cross finial. West door with moulded arch, dripmould and jambs; 3 light west window with geometrical tracery. Nave and aisles roofed separately, 4 bays subdivided by buttress, flint panels with stone quoins and offsets, 3-light windows with geometrical tracery, and moulded dripmoulds; north porch has arch and joints with undercut roll and casement mouldings. Vestry at east end of south aisle. Chancel 2 bays with 2-light windows; 5-light east window with complex geometrical tracery with circles infilling lancets. INTERIOR: plastered throughout: 4-bay nave arcade with circular columns with bell capitals, chamfered arches. Arch braced pitch pine roof, aisle roofs have coupled rafters with scissor bracing. Gallery at west end of nave, supports projecting on wood brackets, glazed screen to ringing chamber. Chancel raised 2 steps, 2 bays, white painted and gilded carved screen to vestry. Arch-braced purlin roof with 2 stages of scalloped windbracing across common rafters. FITTINGS: reredos c1884, heavily modelled central panel of Christ and the Miracle of the Loaves and Fishes, within carved stone frames with 4 granite colonnettes at centre and 3 bay canopy with pierced tracery. Simple oak Gothic style choir stalls with open fronts and moulded bench ends. Lectern, carved eagle on turned baluster stand. Pulpit sandstone base, pier and corbelling; oak top with panels with cinquefoil heads below pierced square crosses. Font opposite north door, bowl with foliated decorated style panels and long trefoils, on 8 clustered shafts. Screen, possibly moved from chancel, placed in west bay of north aisle, simplified perpendicular style, erected in memory of Robert Smith of Goldings (d 1894). Organ

J Walker and Sons 1877. War memorial in south aisle adjoining vestry door, mosaic panel of St George in arched marble surround. STAINED GLASS: east window by Lavers and Barraud, c1894, Christ in Majesty, with Faith, Hope and Charity, C16 style, in memory of Mary and Charlotte Gosselin and Emma Trower, daughters of Admiral Gosselin of Bengeo Hall. HISTORICAL NOTE: Holy Trinity Church was built when Bengeo developed as a residential suburb of Hertford, and superseded St Leonard's as the Parish Church. The Architect Benjamin Ferrey (1810-80) was a pupil of Augustus Charles Pugin father of Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin)and designed a number of Gothic Revival churches. (Pevsner N: Buildings of England: Hertfordshire: Harmondsworth: 1977-: 93; Dixon and Muthesius: Victorian Architecture: 1977-: 258).

Listing NGR: TL3248413600

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Dixon, R, Muthesius, S, Victorian Architecture, (1978), 258
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 93
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Sep 2000
Reference: IOE01/01240/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A. Gude. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].