42, FORE STREET
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- 42, FORE STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1268937.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 05-Jul-2020 at 09:02:51.
- Statutory Address:
- 42, FORE STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TL 32705 12572
TL3212NE FORE STREET 817-1/17/70 (South side) 10/02/50 No.42
Shop, with residence over. c1825, with late C19 and C20 alterations. Stuccoed front, yellow-grey stock brick rear, with plastered second floor. Welsh slated roof concealed by front parapet-cornice. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys. 2-bay front; standard late Georgian urban facade overlaid with modelled stucco decorative motifs, with a ground floor timber shopfront of the same style. Tapered roll mouldings outline a full-height pylon across the elevation, with a bold cavetto cornice enriched with modelled scarabs. First and second floors have recessed 12-pane sash windows, the latter of squatter proportions, with projecting tapered architrave surrounds resembling pylons, with role and cavetto cornices enriched with modelled winged globes over first-floor windows only. Ground floor has original Egyptian style shopfront, substantially unaltered save for the late C19 substitution of large plate-glass sashes for the original small-paned display windows. Tapered slim pilasters with foliated capitals, and metal grilles below sills; recessed twin leaf three quarter glazed entrance doors with fanlight above. Full width fascia, with bold cavetto cornice enriched with moulded scarabs, tablets and a central winged globe motif. Long rear outshut. INTERIOR: of ground floor completely remodelled and used as restaurant, in conjunction with basement at time of inspection; upper floors not viewed. HISTORICAL NOTE: the Egyptian Revival became fashionable at the time of the Egyptian campaigns in the Napoleonic Wars. The opening of William Bullock's Egyptian Hall in Piccadilly in 1812, designed by PF Robinson, sparked a series of Egyptian style buildings. Most of the urban buildings in the Egyptian style built over the next two decades, including this Hertford building, can be traced to The Egyptian Hall. A polychromatic colour scheme was installed during the 1980s following the example of The Egyptian House in Penzance (c1835), restored by The Landmark Trust in 1973. (Hope Bagenal: The Georgian and Post Georgian Buildings of Hertford: 1929-: 21; Forrester H: Timber-framed buildings in Hertford and Ware: Hitchin: 1964-: 26; Hertfordshire Countryside: Moodey G: Georgian brickwork of the choicest sort: Letchworth: 1946-1973: 28; Turnor L: History of
Hertford: Hertford: 1830-: PLATE FACING P 280; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Hertfordshire: Harmondsworth: 1977-: 191).
Listing NGR: TL3270512572
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Bagenal, H, The Georgian and Post Georgian Buildings of Hertford, (1929), 21
Forrester, H , Timber Framed Buildings in Hertford and Ware, (1964), 26
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 191
Turnor, L , History of Hertford, (1830)
'Hertfordshire Countryside' in Hertfordshire Countryside, (1946-1973), 28
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing