COURT HOUSE TO REAR OF NUMBER 27 AND ATTACHED WALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1269247
Date first listed:
18-Jan-1949
Statutory Address:
COURT HOUSE TO REAR OF NUMBER 27 AND ATTACHED WALL, ST JOHNS STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of COURT HOUSE TO REAR OF NUMBER 27 AND ATTACHED WALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1269247 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 20:23:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
COURT HOUSE TO REAR OF NUMBER 27 AND ATTACHED WALL, ST JOHNS STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Malmesbury
National Grid Reference:
ST 93530 86969

Details

MALMESBURY

ST9386 ST JOHN'S STREET 758-1/3/305 (East side) 18/01/49 Court House to rear of No.27 and attached wall

I

Medieval hospital building, Court House from 1623. Possibly late C12, roof early C15, altered 1623. Limestone rubble, rendered gable, brick gable stack and stone slate roof. PLAN: 3-bay plan at right-angles to street, originally extended further to the E. EXTERIOR: single storey; 3-window range. A right-hand doorway with C20 door and C20 buttress to the left, and timber lintels to casements with glazing bars; N elevation has mullion windows with leaded lights. Purlins extend from E gable. INTERIOR: details include a partly open roof with arch-braced collar trusses, mortices for wind braces; steeply-battered inner walls; C18 court fittings include a raised oak bench with panelled back at W end for Warden and Capital Burgesses; desks in front of dais with turned balusters and square newels, the earliest date scratched on desks is 1745; panelled screen or bar separates pit where 24 Assistant Burgesses gathered in front of dais from public; court chest with 6 locks kept in pit, High Steward's chair on dais dates to 1842 with painted panel of Arms dated 1693. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached rubble wall extends approx 3m from NE corner. HISTORICAL NOTE: on site of Hospital of St John and possibly one of the conventual buildings, purchased for the Old Corporation 1580; almshouses from 1597, Court and Free School from 1629. Old Corporation have held meetings here since 1616. The projecting purlins and attached wall suggest the Court House may have extended further. An extremely rare surviving example of a medieval hospital building; the C17 and C18 fittings represent a very rare and significant example of a small provincial Court Room. (Wiltshire Buildings Record: Trowbridge: WLBR B303).

Listing NGR: ST9353386969

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
460953
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/02988/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr G Williams. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].