TOWN HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1269481
Date first listed:
23-Mar-1976
Statutory Address:
TOWN HALL, CROSS HAYES

Map

Ordnance survey map of TOWN HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1269481 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-May-2019 at 13:28:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
TOWN HALL, CROSS HAYES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Malmesbury
National Grid Reference:
ST 93387 87198

Details

MALMESBURY

ST9387 CROSS HAYES 758-1/4/60 (North side) 23/03/76 Town Hall

GV II

Town Hall. Facade 1854, extended 1927; incorporates C17 work to rear. Squared, coursed limestone facade, coursed rubble and dressings to returns and rear, ashlar gable stacks and stone slate roof. STYLE: Tudor Revival. PLAN: double-depth. EXTERIOR: 2 storey; 3-window range, with a 3 storey; 3-window range left-hand extension. A symmetrical front has diagonal buttresses with first-floor drip mould, cornice, central coped gable and coped end gables; 4-centre arched ground-floor openings with drips, narrower to the left with a central doorway with ridge door, and 3-light mullion and transom right-hand window, tall second-floor flat-headed window with 9-light mullion and transom windows, and central 12-light canted oriel with moulded base and top. 2 right-hand return gables with moulded stacks, rear elevation has a C17 left-hand 2 storey tower with a small 4-centre arched doorway. Right-hand extension has wide 4-centre arched ground-floor openings, 3-light and a central first-floor 4-light mullion windows and a central gable and finial; similar 2-window left-hand return. INTERIOR: largely remodelled mid C20; first-floor hall with proscenium arch. (Victoria History of the Counties of England: Crowley DA: Wiltshire: 1991-: 151).

Listing NGR: ST9338087201

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
460722
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Crowley, B A, The Victoria History of the County of Wiltshire, (1991), 151

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].