MARTELLO TOWER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1269724
Date first listed:
27-Feb-1950
Statutory Address:
MARTELLO TOWER

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1269724.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2020 at 14:46:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
MARTELLO TOWER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Suffolk Coastal (District Authority)
Parish:
Aldeburgh
National Grid Reference:
TM 46295 54908

Details

ALDEBURGH

TM45SE SLAUGHDON 837-1/3/44 Martello Tower 27/02/50

II*

Martello tower. 1808-10 by Royal Engineers to design of Colonel Twiss and Captain Ford: sold 1932 and converted to house: commandeered 1940 as military watch tower: restored 1973. Red brick on granite plinth and with ashlar dressings. 4-gun tower, quatrefoil in plan and surrounded by deep brick moat. EXTERIOR: entrance to west set in stone reveals and reached by elevated timber walkway. In each of 4 lobes is one ashlar-faced round-headed window. INTERIOR: not inspected. Eastern segment of the moat has been eroded by the sea. Tower is the most northerly and largest of those built during the Napoleonic War. Scheduled Ancient Monument, No. 106 (Kent P: Fortifications of East Anglia: Lavenham: 1988-: 145-147; BOE: Pevsner N: Suffolk, 2nd Edition: Harmondsworth: 1974-: 73).



Listing NGR: TM4629554908

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
460488
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Kent, P, Fortifications of East Anglia, (1988), 145-147
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Suffolk, (1974), 73

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/07053/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Keith Atkins. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].