CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1269731
Date first listed:
27-Feb-1950
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, VICTORIA ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1269731.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 03:18:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, VICTORIA ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Suffolk Coastal (District Authority)
Parish:
Aldeburgh
National Grid Reference:
TM 46351 56851

Details

ALDEBURGH

TM4656 VICTORIA ROAD 837-1/4/51 (North side) 27/02/50 Church of St Peter and St Paul

GV II*

Church. C14 west tower; nave, north aisle and north chapel 1525-29; south aisle and south chapel 1534-35; south porch 1539; chancel 1545. Restored 1870-71 by Henry Perkin and 1891 by EF Bishop. Flint and pebble with ashlar dressings and some brick. Lead roofs. EXTERIOR: 3-stage tower supported by diagonal buttresses on a flushwork-panelled base course. West doorway with moulded jambs under a square hoodmould carved with shields and quatrefoils in the spandrels. 3-light Perpendicular west window, cinquefoiled ringing chamber openings and 2-light renewed Perpendicular bell openings. Crenellated parapet. Polygonal stair turret to south. South porch of brick and flint, with 3 moulded arched openings straddling pathway, those to east and west rebuilt 1952. 2-light Perpendicular east and west porch windows. Aisles with 3-light Perpendicular windows, those to east and west ends of 4 lights. Penultimate bay of south aisle with blocked 4-centred doorway. Aisles with diagonal east and west buttresses, stepped buttresses to flanks, crenellated parapets. East ends of aisles flush with chancel east wall, former with 4-light C19 Perpendicular windows, latter with 5-light C19 Perpendicular window. Early C20 north vestry of one storey under crenellated parapet. Moulded north aisle doorway. INTERIOR: tall tower arch with polygonal responds and a chamfer and hollow-chamfered arch. West gallery created 1840 by Robert Appleton from 6 bays of screen dado with cusped and traceried panels with texts. 5-bay arcades of quatrefoil piers with keel mouldings in diagonals; high polygonal bases, polygonal capitals and moulded arches. 10-bay nave roof built as a replica in 1934: arched braces to collars, 2 tiers of butt purlins on basket-arched braces. Pitched aisle roofs with roll-moulded principal beams, to north mainly C16, to south mainly C19. Elaborate octagonal pulpit of 1632 by John Garrard: tapering pedestal base; arcaded panels to main body with strapwork separated by strapwork muntins at corners over rich strapwork aprons; overpanels each with carved fish and vine trails in high relief and plain cornice on fretwork consoles. Curving

stairs have irontwist balusters and ramped handrail. C15 octagonal font: plain stem, bowl with alternating panels depicting lions and angels bearing shields. C17 Readers' Desk: 4 by 2 arcaded panels decorated with dog tooth, strapwork frieze and cornice. MONUMENTS: to George Crabbe, the poet, d.1832: marble plinth with bust, by Thomas Thurlow, made 1847. South chapel: monument to Lady Henrietta Vernon, d.1786: sarcophagus behind drapery folds; dark marble obelisk above against which female figure leans upon an urn under flying angel. Chancel and south chapel with late C15 poppyheads to benches. 2 brasses at east end of nave, one of 1519, and other palimpsests. (Blythe R: Parish Church of St Peter & St Paul, Aldeburgh, Suffolk: Southwold: 1988-; BOE: Pevsner N: Suffolk, 2nd Edition: Harmondsworth: 1974-: 71-2).



Listing NGR: TM4635156851

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
460495
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Blythe, R , Parish Church of St Peter and St Paul Aldeburgh Suffolk, (1988)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Suffolk, (1974), 71-72

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/07053/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Keith Atkins. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].