CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1269808
Date first listed:
12-Nov-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1269808.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 23:07:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Wistanstow
National Grid Reference:
SO 43224 85591

Details

WISTANSTOW

SO48NW Church of The Holy Trinity 1943-1/6/162 12/11/54

GV II*

Parish church. C12. Sandstone rubble; plain tile roof. Cruciform on plan, with crossing-tower. EXTERIOR: south doorway to chancel with dogtooth ornamented arch on attached columns with enriched capitals. Tower: probably C14, with later superstructure; sundial; weather-vane. Nave: thick walls with splayed lancets; blocked opening over south doorway, which has studded plank door and wrought-iron hinges, and lock dated: PCW 1696; blocked north doorway under altered opening with lancet. INTERIOR: north transept: roof with trussed rafters with raking braces. South transept: roof with moulded queen-post trusses and cusped windbraces. Nave roof: moulded trusses and purlins with quatrefoil windbracing, and moulded wood ashlar pieces with enriched panelling. Tablets: James family, 1775; Swainson, 1835; Cooke, 1766. Late C18 box-pews to transepts; C14 font. Slabs to Richard James (1727) and others. C17 texts with enriched borders in south transept.



Listing NGR: SO4322485591

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
460393
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Oct 2001
Reference: IOE01/05321/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Jill Ming. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].