CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1269840
Date first listed:
12-Nov-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1269840.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 11:37:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Onibury
National Grid Reference:
SO 45578 79158

Details

ONIBURY

SO47NE Church of St Michael 1943-1/4/68 12/11/54

GV II*

Parish church. C14; restored 1903 by Detmar Blow. West tower, nave and chancel; south porch. Sandstone rubble; Welsh slate roof. EXTERIOR: 2-light window with trefoil-headed tracery under square hoodmould to nave. Chancel with plain lancets; lattice-leaded lights; blocked south doorway under pointed hoodmould; plain 3-light lancet to south with C19 glass; 2-light casement to gallery. Battlemented tower with clock and leaded lights. C20 south door under span-arch lintel, in timber-framed porch with cusped braces, roughcast plaster, vertical plank panels, and cusped bargeboards. INTERIOR: queen post roof. Norman chancel arch with pellet and dogtooth ornament to imposts; piscina; linenfold pulpit; restored west gallery; box-pews; tablet to Dorothea Pytt, d.1657, with small brass in rustic Renaissance-style stone surround with ball-finials; cast-iron grave slab with arms: Richard Walker, d.1666; Mary Walker, d.1673; tablets to Thomas Holland, d.1679; Elizabeth Allat, d.1781.



Listing NGR: SO4557879158

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
460341
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Apr 2004
Reference: IOE01/12112/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Cousens. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].