CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1269882
Date first listed:
12-Nov-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1269882.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 02:06:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Diddlebury
National Grid Reference:
SO 50843 85372

Details

DIDDLEBURY

SO58NW Church of St Peter 1943-1/2/35 12/11/54

GV II*

Parish church. Saxon, restored C19. Dressed and rubble sandstone; plain tile roofs. Nave, chancel, west tower, south aisle and north transept. EXTERIOR: long and short quoins to base of chancel; Decorated east window; mid C19 south wall and porch; restored tower with Norman superstructure over infilled Saxon arch; weather-vane. Tall narrow north doorway, blocked C19, with semi-circular arch on chamfered impost blocks. INTERIOR: good herringbone masonry to north wall; fragments of interlacing sculpture and piscina; 2 canopies with ballflower ornament; font; tablets: Cornwall, d.1756; Powell, d.1769; Fleming, d.1650; Bawdewyn, d.1674; Fleming, d.1761; some early wood figure-head corbels to roof; funeral hatchments.

Listing NGR: SO5084385372

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
460299
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Jul 2003
Reference: IOE01/11063/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr M. I. Joachim. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].