THE OBSERVATORY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1269948
Date first listed:
23-Jan-1973
Statutory Address:
THE OBSERVATORY, VICTORIA COTTAGES

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OBSERVATORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1269948 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 01:47:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE OBSERVATORY, VICTORIA COTTAGES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Falmouth
National Grid Reference:
SW 80802 32472

Details

FALMOUTH

SW8032SE VICTORIA COTTAGES 843-1/10/218 The Observatory 23/01/73

GV II

Observatory. 1862 for The Royal Cornwall Polytechnic Society. Stucco on masonry with channelled rustication to square-plan ground floor (plus small rear wing), octagonal above rising to frieze and deep cove to parapet; steep asbestos slate roof with 4 dormers with C20 glazing and steep roof to wing. 3 storeys or stages plus attic with observation room; small round-arched windows with horned sashes plus 3 square-headed windows. Doorway to south side within lean-to on right; C20 door. INTERIOR not inspected but said to retain original reflectors and staircase. HISTORY: this building was used to keep meteorological records until the early 1950s. The Royal Polytechnic Society was founded in 1833 by Anna-Maria and Caroline, the 2 teenage daughters of Robert Were Fox. As Quakers they were concerned about the well-being of the working classes and wanted to encourage innovative ideas and invention. (Gilson P: Falmouth in Old Photographs: Falmouth: 1990-: 51, 97 AND 101).

































Listing NGR: SW8080232472

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
460239
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gilson, P , Falmouth in Old Photographs, (1990), 51 97 101

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Oct 2003
Reference: IOE01/11093/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Micaela Basford. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].