CHURCH OF KING CHARLES THE MARTYR THE CHURCH INSTITUTE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1270080
Date first listed:
22-Jul-1949
Date of most recent amendment:
24-Apr-1996
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF KING CHARLES THE MARTYR, CHURCH STREET
Statutory Address:
THE CHURCH INSTITUTE, ARWENACK STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF KING CHARLES THE MARTYR
THE CHURCH INSTITUTE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1270080 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 15:49:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF KING CHARLES THE MARTYR, CHURCH STREET
Statutory Address:
THE CHURCH INSTITUTE, ARWENACK STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Falmouth
National Grid Reference:
SW8096532631

Details

FALMOUTH

SW8032NE CHURCH STREET 843-1/7/70 (West side) 22/07/49 Church of King Charles the Martyr (Formerly Listed as: NEW STREET Church of King Charles the Martyr)

GV II*

Includes: The Church Institute ARWENACK STREET. Parish church. 1662-1665, when consecrated by Dr Seth Ward, Lord Bishop of Exeter; built for Sir Peter Killigrew and partly funded by Charles II and is dedicated to his father, Charles I; also funded by James, Duke of York; chancel and tower c1684, improvements in 1706 for Robert Corker; upper clock stage of tower and pinnacles 1800; chancel window 1813 at which time the original chancel was demolished and the church lengthened by about one-third; vestry added in 1861. The main fabric of the church restored c1896 to a modified design by E Sedding; Church Institute added to vestry in 1925 by C Russell Corfield. Killas rubble with granite dressings; dry Delabole slate roofs with coped gables, the 3 main parallel roofs with exposed rafter ends. PLAN: nave/chancel, north and south aisles, extremely small rectangular-plan west tower, north and south porches, small north vestry transept and south organ transept plus 1925 institute attached to north-east corner. EXTERIOR: Perpendicular Survival style. 2-storey elevations (for former gallery); 4-window range to north wall, 3-window range to south wall and single-window range to west end of each aisle. Original 4-light windows under basket-arched hood-moulds; 2 ashlar buttresses to north wall. East end has 3 large Venetian windows. North porch with pointed-arched doorway, early C20 granite ashlar south porch with round-arched doorway. North transept has 3-light traceried windows. Slender straight 4-stage tower has strings dividing stages, small round-arched louvered or gridded openings, small battlements and steep pyramidal corner pinnacles with ball finials; clockface to each side. Round-arched west doorway with spoked fanlight over C18 pair of panelled doors with fielded panels and HL hinges. Similar inner north doorway and fanlight and similar but later doors with strap hinges. INTERIOR: 6 bays of Ionic granite and marble columns (3 granite originals, one a 1968 copy, the others 1896 of marble) between nave/chancel and aisles; Ionic entablature as wall plates and 3 plaster barrel vaults with carved ribs separating bays. Central Venetian window has full Ionic details. West gallery with fielded oak panelling 1896. Tower contains some original floor timbers. FITTINGS: pulpit incorporating C16 and C17 English and German carvings acquired by the Revd William Coope; clergy stalls incorporate some old carved fragments; rare Queen Anne period Royal Coat of Arms showing the union of Scotland and England; 1759 credence table with the Killigrew Arms and hexagonal marble and oak font with similar carved detail also 1759; portrait of Charles I attributed to Lely, presented in 1913 by the Royalist Society. Late C19 and early C20 fittings include: pews with square moulded ends; low marble walls surmounted by later wrought-iron screens, between sanctuary and side chapels; turned granite balustrade as base for later wrought-iron rood screen, the central part of the base from Church of St Paul, Penzance; Gothic-style altars, an incomplete memorial triptych above the one in the Lady Chapel and there is a brass memorial lectern to former churchwarden, Mr JH Hunt. STAINED GLASS WINDOWS: chancel (Sanctuary) window 1910 by Taylor and Clifden, donated by Mrs SH Hatch in memory of her parents, Justin and Emma Smith; late C19 Lady Chapel window incorporating some C18 glass from Italy; the Warrior Chapel window is a War Memorial by the Red Cross Society and there is the coat of arms of the Revd William Coope in the vestry (not inspected). MONUMENTS: include Baroque marble and freestone monument to Thomas Corker, d.1709 aged 31; pedimented marble monument to John Russell, d.1734; monument with urn against obelisk, by Paty of Bristol, to Richard Lockyer, d.1789 and a similar monument, by Isbell of Truro, to Captain James Bull, also a monument by Jacob and Thomas Olvers of Falmouth to the Revd Lewis Mathias, d.1837. (Gilson, Peter: Falmouth in Old Photographs: Falmouth: 1990-: 56 AND 57; Guide to Falmouth Parish Church; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Cornwall: London: 1951-1970: 66-69; Kelly: Kelly's Directory for Cornwall: Falmouth: 1910-: 105).



Listing NGR: SW8097432629

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
460117
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Guide Falmouth Parish Church
Gilson, P , Falmouth in Old Photographs, (1990)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970), 66-69
'Kellys Directory' in Cornwall, (1910), 105
Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/67563

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Sep 2007
Reference: IOE01/11331/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Rod Allday. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].