This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1270210



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Ulverston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Jun-1972

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Apr-1996

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 459995

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SD 2878, 626-1/3/94

ULVERSTON, NEW CHURCH ROAD, Church of Holy Trinity

(Formerly Listed as: NEW CHURCH LANE, Church of Holy Trinity)



Church, converted for use as sports centre, and disused at time of survey. 1829-32. By Salvin. Interior re-ordered and chancel added 1870 by Paley and Austin. Limestone rubble with sandstone dressings and slate roofs. PLAN: comprises a nave, north and south aisles, a north-west tower with stone spire, and a lower chancel. EXTERIOR: The aisles are of 5 bays separated by buttresses and have chamfered lancet windows. The western bay of the south aisle contains a doorway. On the north side the 4th bay from the west contains a doorway below a window. At the west end there is a triple stepped lancet window above a moulded pointed doorway. The tower has angle buttresses, a band of trefoils above paired lancet bell openings, and corner pinnacles. The spire is ribbed. The chancel has one trefoiled light to north and south, and a triple stepped lancet east window. INTERIOR: sub-divided by the insertion of walls of concrete block and of studwork and plasterboard, and by insertion of false ceilings. The front of the west gallery (added by Paley and Austin) has been removed. Above ceiling level the 5-bay nave arcades of moulded pointed arches springing from octagonal piers with moulded caps can be seen. The chancel arch is moulded, and there is a moulded arch spanning the nave near its west end. The flat ceiling has tie beams carried on corbelled brackets. FITTINGS: The chancel contains a sedilia with twin seats, a piscina, and a reredos of marble and alabaster. STAINED GLASS: the west and east windows, and some of the aisle windows, contain stained glass. One north aisle window is said to be by Morris and another by Kempe.

Listing NGR: SD2846878106

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Rimmer, Reverend J S, The Story of Ulverston, (1925), 14

National Grid Reference: SD 28468 78106


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1270210 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jan-2018 at 02:47:05.

End of official listing