Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1270449.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 04-Dec-2020 at 08:40:52.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Sheffield (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 33391 88419



SK38NW HOWARD ROAD 784-1/5/443 (North West side) 28/06/73 Church of St Mary


Parish church. 1869 with addition, 1928. By JG Weightman. Rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. Gothic Revival style. PLAN: chancel, north transept, nave with clerestory and aisles, south-west tower with spire. EXTERIOR: chamfered plinth, corbelled eaves, coped gables, north and south gables with crosses, buttresses. Chancel east gable has angle buttresses and a 4-light pointed arch window with Geometrical tracery and hoodmould. South side has a double lancet. Transept has a double lancet to east and a Decorated 3-light pointed arch window in the gable. Door in west side. Nave clerestory has 6 quatrefoil and trefoil windows on each side. West gable has a 4-light pointed arch window and 7 small single lancets below. To right, 2 storey addition, 1928. South aisle has six 2-light pointed arch windows. North aisle and baptistry has 7 similar windows and a single lancet to east. South-west tower, 3 stages, has angle buttresses and string courses. To north, chamfered and moulded doorway with traceried gable and finial. To west, a single lancet and to its right a canted stair turret with a door and a single lancet above it. Second stage has a triangular window over the door and a single lancet to east and west. Panelled bell stage has a single squat pointed traceried opening on each side with a clock above them. Octagonal broach spire with 2 tiers of gabled lucarnes on alternate faces. INTERIOR: has double chamfered chancel arch. Chancel has sillband, and double chamfered arch to transept. Roof similar to nave. Nave has 6 bay arcades with double chamfered arches with alternating round and octagonal piers. Common rafter roof with strutted collars. West end has gallery with organ case each side. Transept has C20 glazed screens. North aisle has segmental pointed west door and east arch. South aisle has blind arcaded baptistry at east end. FITTINGS include 2 late C19 windows by Kayll of Leeds and another late C19 window. C19 D-shaped traceried stone pulpit, octagonal font with C20 cover, triple shaft brass lectern and Perpendicular style wooden reredos. Traceried panelled stalls. 2 wooden war memorial tablets. (Researches by G Hague, Sheffield City Council).

Listing NGR: SK3339188419

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


War Memorials Online, accessed 30 October 2017 from
War Memorials Online, accessed 30 October 2017 from
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Oct 2002
Reference: IOE01/06309/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Barbara A West. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].