RHODES MEMORIAL CLOCK TOWER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1270515
Date first listed:
06-Jun-1994
Statutory Address:
RHODES MEMORIAL CLOCK TOWER, WILMSLOW ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1270515.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jun-2021 at 03:16:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
RHODES MEMORIAL CLOCK TOWER, WILMSLOW ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Manchester (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 84704 91311

Details

MANCHESTER

SJ89SW WILMSLOW ROAD, Didsbury 698-1/8/680 (East side) Rhodes Memorial Clock Tower

GV II

Memorial clock tower and drinking fountain. c.1910. Commemorates Dr.J.Milson Rhodes (d.1909). Portland stone with bronze plaque. Square section. Edwardian baroque style. Approx. 8m high, mounted on 2 steps, the upper with concave corners; the north and south sides of the base have coved niches with projected drinking fountain bowls, and the other sides have blind doorways with moulded architraves; the tower has moulded corners, and a bronze plaque attached to the east side with an oval medallion containing a profile in relief and lettering "In memory of Dr.J.Milson Rhodes JP.CA. 1847-1909. A Friend to Humanity"; the top has clock faces set in circular wreaths, a cornice segmentally arched over them, and a domed roof with a finial. Stands at edge of forecourt to former railway station. Forms group with War Memorial (q.v.) and Didsbury Public Library (q.v.), both on opposite side of road.

Listing NGR: SJ8470491311

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
458456
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/00522/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Leo Jacobs. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].