CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1270665
Date first listed:
03-Oct-1974
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, STOCKPORT ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1270665 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 01:30:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, STOCKPORT ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Manchester (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 87773 93356

Details

MANCHESTER

SJ89SE STOCKPORT ROAD, Levenshulme 698-1/9/725 (West side) 03/10/74 Church of St Andrew

II

Church. 1907-8, by R.B.Preston. Speckled whitened and red brick in header bond, with dressings of red brick and red terracotta, green slate roof. Free Perpendicular style. Aisled nave and chancel in one vessel, with small tower to north side and shallow canted apse to west end. The 8-bay south side has buttresses with swept pitched tops, that between the 5th and 6th bays much larger and breaking through the parapet; 2-centred arched windows of 3 lights in the 2nd and 4th bays and 2 lights in the others, with terracotta mullions and Perpendicular tracery including simplified mouchettes and cusps terminating in small circles like full-stops (giving a dotted texture), and hoodmoulds; and a gabled porch to the 1st bay with terracotta enrichment. The east gable (to the street), 3 bays with buttresses, has windows of 3, 5 and 3 lights with similar but more elaborate tracery, and a foundation stone dated September 1907; the apse at the west end has windows of 1, 3 and 1 lights, and a parapet. The north side has windows of 4, 3 and 3 lights; a small square tower in the centre with a 2-centred arched doorway, segmental-pointed belfry windows, embattled parapet and pyramidal roof; and a gabled porch at the west end with a doorway in its east side. Interior not inspected.

Listing NGR: SJ8777393356

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
457759
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Jan 2005
Reference: IOE01/12600/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Riley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].