WINCOBANK UNDENOMINATIONAL CHAPEL AND ADJOINING SCHOOLROOM

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1270716
Date first listed:
12-Dec-1995
Statutory Address:
WINCOBANK UNDENOMINATIONAL CHAPEL AND ADJOINING SCHOOLROOM, WINCOBANK AVENUE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1270716.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2021 at 08:40:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
WINCOBANK UNDENOMINATIONAL CHAPEL AND ADJOINING SCHOOLROOM, WINCOBANK AVENUE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Sheffield (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SK 37702 91313

Details

SHEFFIELD

SK39SE WINCOBANK AVENUE 784-1/2/791 (South side) Wincobank Undenominational Chapel and adjoining schoolroom

II

Undenominational chapel and adjoining schoolroom. 1841 and c1870, with early C20 alterations. Paid for by the Rawson family of Wincobank Hall. Coursed squared stone and ashlar dressings, with slate roofs and truncated ridge stack. EXTERIOR: plinth, coped gables with kneelers, stone corbels to eaves. Single storey; 5 x 4 bays. T-plan. Chapel has coped west gable with Gothic arched single bell turret and blocked 3-light pointed arch window with hoodmould. South side has central porch with coped gable and kneelers and round-arched doorway with double plank doors and hoodmould. On either side, two 2-light stone mullioned windows with label moulds. North side has similar fenestration. Schoolroom, to east, has to right a porch with shouldered coped gable and round-arched doorway with hoodmould, double plank doors and fanlight. To its left, three 2-light stone mullioned windows with label moulds. Left gable has a 3-light pointed arch window with intersecting tracery and hoodmould. At the rear, C20 door and overlight. Right gable has a 2-light mullioned window and below, 2 single windows with a C20 window between them. INTERIOR has arch braced roof on corbels, with additional diagonal braces. To south, fielded 6-panel double doors. At the front, a round cornered dais enclosed by a wooden balustrade, with an inserted door to the left. On the dais, fielded panelled choir stalls and clergy desk, C19, and organ case c1914. Schoolroom has similar roof and inserted floor. FITTINGS include C19 benches. Memorials include marble tablets, 1883 and 1887, to members of the Rawson family. James Montgomery, the Sheffield hymnologist, was associated with this chapel, and composed a hymn for the opening ceremony.

Listing NGR: SK3770291313

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
457511
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Aug 2006
Reference: IOE01/15661/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Barbara A West. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].