This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1271037



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: City of Nottingham

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Apr-1964

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Nov-1995

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 455827

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SK54SE CHURCH STREET, Basford 646-1/4/771 (South East side) 29/04/64 Church of St Leodegarius and attached grave enclosure (Formerly Listed as: CHURCH STREET, Basford Church of St Leodegarius)


Parish church and attached grave enclosure. Chancel c1180, restored 1900, south arcade c1250, south aisle and south porch c1340, clerestory late C14. Restored, clerestory, north aisle and north arcade rebuilt 1858-59 by Arthur Wilson. Tower rebuilt 1859-61 following collapse, by Thomas Allom. Early English and Decorated styles. Rock-faced stone and ashlar, with ashlar dressings and steep pitched slate roofs with moulded coped parapets and gables. PLAN: chancel, chapel, vestry, nave aisles, porches, west tower. EXTERIOR: plinth, sill band and buttresses. Chancel has 3 lancets to east, with an oval window above. 2 lancets to north and 4 to south. North chapel has a single lancet. Flat roofed vestry, to south, has a flat-headed window, 3-lights, to south, and door to east. Nave clerestory has 5 small cusped windows each side. South aisle, 4 bays, has to south 3 flat-headed windows, 2 and 3-lights, with label moulds. At each end, a pointed arched 2-light window with hood mould, the west window renewed. South porch has a chamfered pointed arched doorway with hood mould and 2-light windows on each side. Inside, roll moulded inner doorway and renewed roof on reset corbels. Several reset memorial tablets, late C18 and early C19. Attached to the east side, an ashlar table tomb with wrought-iron spearhead railing, c1800. North aisle has 5 single lancets, with a pointed arched door west of the east window. East end has a single lancet, west end 2 lancets. North porch has moulded pointed arched doorway with double shafts, and a single lancet each side. Inside, common rafter roof and moulded round-arched doorway with panelled door, C18. Square west tower, 3 stages, has angle buttresses to the lower stages string courses, corbel table and pierced balustrade with octagonal pinnacles. Pointed arched 2-light window to left, a small door to the stairway. Middle stage has a single lancet on 3 sides. Bell stage has on each side 2 pointed arched openings, 2-lights, with shafts. INTERIOR: rendered. Chancel has double chamfered arch with triple shaft responds and traceried wooden screen, early C20. Panelled dado and wagon roof. East end has 3 stained glass windows, 1901, and oval window above. South side has cusped piscina, plain windows. In the adjoining vestry, a roll-moulded priest's door, c1200, with double shafts and hood mould. To west, a blocked 2-light window. North side has a pointed arched organ opening and plain windows. Nave, rendered, with panelled wagon roof with ribs and corbels. Arcades, 5 bays, with filleted quatrefoil columns c1180 and capitals c1250. Double chamfered arches with hood moulds and responds. West end has a similar double chamfered tower arch with clustered shafts and responds. Above it, a loop. Tower chamber has cross beam ceiling and moulded framed panelling. Stained glass west window, 1902. Aisles have arch braced lean-to roofs and panelled wainscotting, C19. South aisle has cusped piscina to east and stained glass south west window by Kempe, 1910. Other windows have stained glass late C19 and early C20. North aisle round-arched north door and mid C19 stained glass window. East end has double chamfered arch with traceried wooden screen, opening into organ chamber. Memorials include brass and marble and slate tablet, 1776, and ashlar and slate tablet with angel and illegible inscription, late C17. Fittings include octagonal ashlar pulpit, 1859, octagonal font, C19, with traceried ogee cover, and brass eagle lectern, 1905. C19 chairs and traceried panelled stalls. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London: 1979-: 266; Train K: St Leodegarius Church (guide): Nottingham: 1976-).

Listing NGR: SK5529742774

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Train, K , St Leodegarius Church Guide, (1976)
Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire, (1979), 266

National Grid Reference: SK 55297 42774


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1271037 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2017 at 09:14:29.

End of official listing