MEOLE BRACE CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1271121
Date first listed:
30-May-1969
Statutory Address:
MEOLE BRACE CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of MEOLE BRACE CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1271121.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 17:06:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
MEOLE BRACE CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Shrewsbury
National Grid Reference:
SJ 48620 10555

Details

SHREWSBURY

SJ41SE CHURCH ROAD, Meole Brace 653-1/4/757 Church of Holy Trinity 30/05/69

GV II*

Parish church. 1867-8. E Haycock Junior. Rusticated red sandstone with paler stone dressings and some ashlar bands, plain tiled roof with ridge cresting. PLAN: west tower clasped by nave and lean-to aisles, chancel. EXTERIOR: west tower of 4 stages with angle buttresses. Paired shouldered square-headed lights in second stage, with clock above, and paired lights to bell-chamber in hollow chamfered banded arch. Quatrefoil frieze and corbel table. Embattled parapet and short spire with weather vane. South aisle of 4 bays divided by buttresses, with coped gabled porch with short angle buttresses and foiled archway. Trefoil frieze above. 3-light Decorated windows. Gabled chapel projects, with 2 foiled lancet windows and a rose window over. Chancel with apsidal east end with 3-light Decorated windows in each face. It is distinguished by moulded eaves cornice, and separated from nave by a coped gable, although roof line continues at same level throughout. Lean-to north aisle of 4 bays with Decorated windows. Gabled vestry projects from aisle. INTERIOR: nave arcade of 5 bays, cylindrical shafts with alternately foliate and ring moulded capitals, and red and white banded voussoirs. Cross braced roof trusses carried on corbels. Chancel arch with paired banded shafts with rich foliate capitals. In the chancel, arches lead off each side to side chapels. Ornate roof truss with cross-bracing and curved struts each side of King post. Marble low relief reredos, and quatrefoil wood frieze at wall plate. Oak pews and pulpit possibly original. Octagonal font with alternate panels of marble inlay and raised foliate decoration. War memorial under the west window with high relief figures of a soldier and an angel kneeling each side of a name plate beneath a canopy. STAINED GLASS: noted for its complete series of stained-glass windows by Morris and Company. In the chancel, the windows are dated 1870, and are in a medieval narrative style, depicting scenes from the Old and New Testaments each side of the Crucifixion with angels, saints and prophets. South side chapel windows dated 1894 by Kempe, with full-height figures depicting the Annunciation. South aisle windows dated 1899, Morris and Co., with full-height figures of prophets, saints and virtues on a pale ground. North aisle windows continue this series and are dated 1903 and 1916. One north window is earlier, dated 1887. It depicts Martha and Mary and is in a different style, with the two figures against a dark ground of drapes and vine leaves. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Shropshire: Harmondsworth: 1858-).

Listing NGR: SJ4862010555

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 26 October 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
455976
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958)
Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 26 October 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/237576
War Memorials Register, accessed 26 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/38066

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Jan 2006
Reference: IOE01/15180/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Philip Semple. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].