KITCHEN GARDEN WALLS INCLUDING GLASSHOUSES WNW OF POWDERHAM CASTLE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1271148

Date first listed: 28-Nov-2000

Statutory Address: KITCHEN GARDEN WALLS INCLUDING GLASSHOUSES WNW OF POWDERHAM CASTLE

Map

Ordnance survey map of KITCHEN GARDEN WALLS INCLUDING GLASSHOUSES WNW OF POWDERHAM CASTLE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1271148 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 22:10:16.

Location

Statutory Address: KITCHEN GARDEN WALLS INCLUDING GLASSHOUSES WNW OF POWDERHAM CASTLE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge (District Authority)

Parish: Powderham

National Grid Reference: SX 96364 83836

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

POWDERHAM

SX98SE POWDERHAM PARK 1519/6/10014 Kitchen Garden Walls including glassho 28-NOV-00 uses WNW of Powderham Castle

II



Kitchen garden walls and glasshouse. 1843-4; by Charles Fowler, for the Tenth Earl of Devon. Red brick on stone rubble plinth, and slate capping. Flat brick buttresses on the outer sides of the walls. Arched doorways in south and west walls. The walls enclose a kitchen garden, irregular on plan and tapering to a corner at the west end. On the north side facing south there are circa mid C19 glasshouses with original ventilation winding gear and cast-iron heating pipes. NOTE: The walls were built to provide work for local labourers, and it was constructed of bricks re-used from the earlier walled garden north of Powderham Castle. SOURCE: Register of Parks and Gardens.

Listing NGR: SX9636483836

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 486919

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing