MILL DAM AT WESTWOOD MILLS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1271264
Date first listed:
20-Jun-2000
Statutory Address:
MILL DAM AT WESTWOOD MILLS, LOWESTWOOD LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of MILL DAM AT WESTWOOD MILLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1271264.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2019 at 22:27:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
MILL DAM AT WESTWOOD MILLS, LOWESTWOOD LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Kirklees (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SE0948414574

Details

SE 01 SE 391/5/10018 20-JUN-00

COLNE VALLEY LOWESTWOOD LANE Linthwaite Mill Dam at Westwood Mills

GV II*

Dam to mill pond. 1801, enlarged 1824 and 1858. Coursed local gritstone. Retaining wall approximately 3 meters high on east face with sluice gates at north to water wheel and at south to overflow. Triangular in plan, tapering to goit from river at west end; approximately 200meters long and 50 meters wide. The north side of the mill pond is bounded by the towpath of the Huddersfield Canal, a contemporary structure, and the south side is embanked down to the river Colne. This pond also supplied water to the small mill dam at Lower Mill to the south-east now called Titanic Mill. HISTORY; recorded as the dam embankment, byewash, pentrough and wheel race in a document of 1801 and enlarged in 1824 when a new 2 storey fulling mill was added. The new work included wheel race, wooden and stone pentroughs, dam embankment, two trunks, sluices and byegoits.

Listing NGR: SE0948414574

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
487128
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].