FORMER COUNTING HOUSE AND WORKMENS' COTTAGES AT ABBEYDALE WORKS MUSEUM

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1271385
Date first listed:
01-May-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
12-Dec-1995
Statutory Address:
FORMER COUNTING HOUSE AND WORKMENS' COTTAGES AT ABBEYDALE WORKS MUSEUM, ABBEYDALE ROAD SOUTH

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER COUNTING HOUSE AND WORKMENS' COTTAGES AT ABBEYDALE WORKS MUSEUM
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1271385 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-May-2019 at 18:13:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
FORMER COUNTING HOUSE AND WORKMENS' COTTAGES AT ABBEYDALE WORKS MUSEUM, ABBEYDALE ROAD SOUTH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Sheffield (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 32574 81999

Details

SHEFFIELD

SK38SW ABBEYDALE ROAD SOUTH 784-1/9/7 (East side) 01/05/52 Former counting house and workmens' cottages at Abbeydale Works Museum (Formerly Listed as: ABBEYDALE ROAD SOUTH (East side) Counting house and 3 cottages at Abbeydale Works)

GV II*

Formerly known as: Cottage row (3 cottages) adjoining Water Mill ABBEYDALE ROAD SOUTH. Counting house and workmens' cottages, now education centre, cafe and house. 1786-93, restored 1970. Coursed squared stone with stone slate roofs and 2 gable and single ridge brick stacks. Quoins. 2 storeys; 5 window range of glazing bar casements. Counting house, to left, has a loft door flanked by single 2-light casements and below, a beaded plank door flanked to left by two 2-light casements. Openings have stone lintels and sills. Cottages, to right, have three 3-light casements and below, a central board door flanked by single 3-light casements. To left, a similar door and to right, a 4-light casement. Ground floor openings have stone flat arches and windows have plank shutters. The counting house was later used as a crown scythe warehouse. (Sheffield City Museums Publications: Peatman J: Abbeydale Industrial Hamlet: Sheffield: 1985-: 23).

Listing NGR: SK3257481999

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
455108
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Peatman, J, Abbeydale Industrial Hamlet, (1985), 23

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected]org.uk.