RELIEF SCULPTURE AT LORDS CRICKET GROUND

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1271512

Date first listed: 22-May-2001

Statutory Address: RELIEF SCULPTURE AT LORDS CRICKET GROUND, WELLINGTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of RELIEF SCULPTURE AT LORDS CRICKET GROUND
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1271512 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 08:33:56.

Location

Statutory Address: RELIEF SCULPTURE AT LORDS CRICKET GROUND, WELLINGTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: City of Westminster (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 27081 82832

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



TQ2782NW WELLINGTON ROAD 1900/23/10281 Relief sculpture at Lords Cricket Ground 22-MAY-01

II



Relief sculpture. 1934 by Gilbert Bayes, RA. Portland stone. A bas-relief procession of thirteen sportsmen and women, depicting tennis players, golfers, cricketers, swimmers, oarsmen and footballers. Inscribed (after Sir Henry Newboult) at the upper level PLAY UP PLAY UP AND PLAY THE GAME. Inscribed along base PRESENTED TO St MARYLEBONE BY ALDERMAN DAVID ISAACS 1934. GILBERT BAYES 1934. The relief was inserted on this corner following a widening of the roadway in 1934; the corner was remodelled and a new setting formed in 1995-96.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 487596

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing