Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1271607.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2021 at 19:08:02.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Great Yarmouth (District Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TG 53034 06684



TG5306NW SOUTH BEACH PARADE 839-1/20/161 (West side) 05/08/74 Shadingfield Lodge


House, now hotel. c1862-5. By AW Morant. Altered internally 1953 by AW Ecclestone. Gault brick under slate roofs. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 6-window range in all. The east side has a 3-bay bow towards the north end and 3 bays of conventional walling towards the south. To south bays have 3 French doors giving on to the verandah, above are three 2/2 unhorned recessed sashes set under gauged skewback arches. The bow also has three 2/2 sashes to each floor under gauged skewback arches, the lower sashes dropping to the floor level. Clasping the entire east facade is a cast-iron verandah composed of paired lattice uprights rising to a pierced upper plate with a crested cornice. On this cornice is a convex sheet-metal canopy. Verandah stands on a stone balustrade. North return with 2 blind windows and two 2/2 upper sashes as before. Square entrance porch. Plaque records visits of Prince of Wales in 1872, 1879, 1881, 1882, 1885, 1887, 1895 and 1899. Rear service wing of 2 storeys in 4 bays, fitted with 2/2 unhorned sashes under gauged skewback arches as before. INTERIOR: service wing converted into bar in 1953 and oak chimney-piece moved from dining room: inverted tapering pilasters support overmantel of 2 paired columns framing a central fielded panel; carved frieze and cornice. Staircase with turned balusters and a wreathed handrail. East bar has a pair of fluted Ionic columns in antis added in 1953 when dividing wall was removed.

Listing NGR: TG5303406684


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/07974/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Barlow. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].