This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1271694



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Gloucester

District Type: District Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 23-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Dec-1998

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 472288

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SO81NW LLANTHONY ROAD 844-1/3/157 (East side) 23/01/52 Llanthony Priory, Remains of Outer Gatehouse (Formerly Listed as: HEMPSTED LANE Remains of Llanthony Priory)


The ruined remains of the outer gatehouse to the outer court of the former Augustinian Priory of Llanthony Secunda. 1494-1500. For Henry Dene, Prior, and Bishop of Bangor. Part of Ancient Monument in the care of Gloucester City Council. Demolished portions excavated 1975. Cotswold stone ashlar facing on red brick. PLAN: originally a rectangular structure with carriage way on the left hand (north) side and pedestrian entry on the right hand (south) side; The southern half of the front wall extant to full height, the other walls excavated and marked out at ground level. EXTERIOR: the front facing the road originally of two bays defined by three buttresses; moulded crowning cornice and crenellated parapet with weathered copings; the surviving central and southern buttresses with weathered offsets; the central buttress rises to the underside of the cornice, the right hand buttress is capped by a cusped gablet; to the left of the central buttress the surviving right-hand jamb and the haunch of the carriage entrance archway with a double chamfer and eared hoodmould; in the right hand bay the smaller pedestrian doorway with four-centred, double chamfered arch and eared hoodmould; at first-floor level above the pedestrian entry a single-light arched window, formerly cinquefoiled, with a rectangular, eared hoodmould, which lit former chamber for the gatekeeper; set into the upper part of the wall face three coats of arms carved in relief: the shield to the right of the window with the arms of the prior, Henry Dene, the shield to the left with the arms of the Bohuns, patrons of the priory from 1175 to 1373, and the shield immediately above, now defaced, with the arms of France and England quarterly for King Henry VII.

Listing NGR: SO8229718025

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SO 82297 18025


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1271694 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2017 at 05:46:02.

End of official listing