3, MILLERS GREEN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1271714
Date first listed:
23-Jan-1952
Statutory Address:
3, MILLERS GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of 3, MILLERS GREEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1271714.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Feb-2020 at 18:46:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
3, MILLERS GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Gloucester (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SO 83096 18870

Details

GLOUCESTER

SO8318NW MILLER'S GREEN 844-1/8/205 (East side) 23/01/52 No.3

GV II*

House. Reputed to incorporate remains of the great kitchen of the Benedictine Abbey of St Peter, built in C12; substantially remodelled in C14 and in C16 known as the Common Kitchen; converted to house in late C16, altered in early C17, and partially refitted in 1725-31 for the leaseholder, Barbara Catchmay; later minor alterations. Stone, rendered brick and timber-frame, cross-gabled slate roofs, brick stacks. Two, parallel, right-angle ranges forming double-depth block, and a rear wing to right making overall L-plan. EXTERIOR: on the front two gabled, right-angle ranges of two storeys and attics. On the front the taller, left-hand gable-end wall recessed behind face of right-hand gable-end wall; both gabled walls stuccoed with ruled masonry joints, the C16 timber-framing in right hand gable exposed in C20; in the right-hand gable wall the entrance doorway to left in a deep recess framed by moulded architrave and cornice, to right of doorway a C20 cross window with casements replacing a sash, on the first floor two cross windows with casements and in the gable between exposed timber collar ties a two-light casement; in the left-hand gable-end wall on the ground floor two C18 sashes with glazing bars (3x4 panes), on the first floor two cross windows with casements and in the gable a similar cross window; the casements in all the cross windows on the upper floors with leaded lights. The rear wall of the block stuccoed with two gables similar to the gables on the front and with irregular fenestration; on the ground floor to left a late C16 four-light, stone-mullioned window, and to right a C20 pair of French doors with sidelights; on the first floor three sashes with glazing bars (3x4 panes) and in the centre a cross window; in each gable a pair of casements; to left a single storey service wing. INTERIOR: entrance hall with C17 panelling on left-hand wall, to right a small room with C16 linenfold panelling above fireplace; at rear of entrance hall to right an open well staircase, inserted 1725-31, with richly carved tread-end brackets, twisted column-on-vase balusters, wreathed and ramped handrail, and stair dado with raised and fielded panels; in rooms to left early C18 fielded panelling and in the rear room a C19 slate chimney piece.



On first floor a large front room refitted in early C17 with square-frame panelling, chimney-piece and richly carved timber overmantel with figures flanking two arcaded and recessed panels, and an entablature, moulded plaster ceiling with ribs in intricate pattern, and with panels enclosing a swan, a crane in relief and the inscription "Alma Mater Cantabrigia"; room to rear with similar panelling, another room with exposed timber-framing. In attic some exposed roof framing including collar ties and purlins. (Eward S: No Fine but a Glass of Wine, Cathedral Life at Gloucester: Salisbury: 1985-: 324).









Listing NGR: SO8309618870

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
472352
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Eward, S , No Fine but a Glass of Wine Cathedral Life at Gloucester, (1985), 324

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Mar 2004
Reference: IOE01/11870/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Terence J Devine. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].