TINSIDE LIDO AND CHANGING ROOMS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1271847

Date first listed: 17-Nov-1998

Statutory Address: TINSIDE LIDO AND CHANGING ROOMS, HOE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of TINSIDE LIDO AND CHANGING ROOMS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1271847 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 17:51:14.

Location

Statutory Address: TINSIDE LIDO AND CHANGING ROOMS, HOE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Plymouth (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SX 47742 53665

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



740-1/25/10064 HOE ROAD 17-NOV-98 (South,off) Tinside Lido and Changing Rooms

II



Sea water bathing pool. 1935 by J Wibberley, borough engineer, with Edmund Nuttall and Sons and John Mowlem and Company, builders, with entrance building of 1933 by the same engineer. Mass concrete pool strengthened by counterfort walls and reinforced concrete inner walls, duct walls and floors; with reinforced concrete buildings and some stone retaining walls. The entrance building faced in stone. Semi-circular pool, 180 feet in diameter, with projecting jetties, and at entrance circular cutwaters separated by steps. Entrance buildings used largely for sunbathing, with flat roofs and metal windows. The changing rooms also with flat roof, in art deco style, with square metal windows and prominent staircase leading from the cliff face to the pool side and leading to changing rooms. The upper floor with balcony, the lower floor with changing rooms (not inspected). Staircase with original tiling and balustrading, and relief figure. The pool has three fountains which aereated the water, and is surrounded by cast-iron railings. To the north east of the pool the sea wall continues with three semi-circular bastion-like projections, between which there are broad steps to the shore and above pavilions with railed terraces on top and integral shelters on the south west end facing the pool. Source. Opening brochure, 2 October 1935.



Listing NGR: SX4771653662

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 471689

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing