THE BENEFICIAL SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1271859
Date first listed:
10-Jan-1953
Statutory Address:
THE BENEFICIAL SCHOOL, KENT STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1271859.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Jul-2020 at 13:59:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE BENEFICIAL SCHOOL, KENT STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Portsmouth (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 63327 00221

Details

PORTSMOUTH

SU6300 KENT STREET, Portsea 774-1/8/299 (North side) 10/01/53 The Beneficial School

II*

School, now training centre. 1784, extended 1836, restored late C20. Red brick in Flemish bond, ground floor front stucco. Welsh slated roof. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, 3 bays (centre bay wide). Ground floor horizontal rusticated. At centre recessed 2-leaf door, 12 fielded panels under large fanlight with radial looped glazing bars running into it from centre, panelled reveal and soffit, flanking engaged Doric columns, broken entablature and broken pediment. On left and right is a 6-pane sash set under rusticated flat arch. At centre of first floor is a large Venetian window running through first and second floors with full width outer arch light, centre 15-pane unequal sash, 3-pane round-headed light over set under round stuccoed arch, flanking 8-pane sashes, articulating pilasters have fluting and leaf decorations to necking, broken entablature has frieze with flukes and paterae, sill has consoles in line with pilasters; 12-pane sashes flanking set under flat gauged brick arches. Facing brick dentil pediment and cornice with stone capping contains tablet inscribed "This building was erected in 1784 by the Beneficial Society for their Free School for Boys established 1755 and enlarged 1836 for the purpose of adding a Girls School to the Institution". Left return (west elevation) has 22 bays, the 7 bays to the right was the extent of the original school prior to extension. Right return (east elevation) wall has been rebuilt. INTERIOR not inspected. (Balfour A: Portsmouth: London: 1970-: 28; Lloyd DW: Buildings of Portsmouth and its Environs: Portsmouth: 1974-: 50; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Lloyd DW: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight: Harmondsworth: 1967-: 458).





Listing NGR: SU6330700180

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
474828
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Balfour, A, Portsmouth, (1970), 28
Lloyd, D W , Buildings of Portsmouth and its Environs, (1974), 50
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 458

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Mar 2006
Reference: IOE01/15108/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony Leggett. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].