CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1272028
Date first listed:
01-Aug-1997
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, HIGHBRIDGE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1272028 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-May-2019 at 14:39:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, HIGHBRIDGE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Dudley (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SO9382088098

Details

SO 98 NW 726/6/10023

DUDLEY HIGHBRIDGE ROAD (West, off), Netherton Church of St Andrew II

Anglican church. 1827-30, by Thomas Lee, for the Church Commissioners. Gornal stone ashlar facing to brick structure. Slate roof. STYLE: Gothic style. PLAN: galleried nave with small apse and west tower; vestry added at east end in 1938. EXTERIOR: 7-bay nave with parapet, buttresses and tall pointed arch windows with hoodmoulds and pointed arch doorway with label below west window on north and south sides. 4-stage west tower with angle-buttresses with set-offs and tall pinnacles; embattled parapet, large bell-openings with Perpendicular tracery, clock faces with labels over and pointed arches to west window and doorway. Gabled apse at east end with pointed arch window with later Perpendicular tracery and low ashlar vestry of 1938. INTERIOR: ceiled and with galleries on three sides on thin iron columns. Original plain box-pews, but remainder of interior Gothicised later in C19. Furnishings include: late C19 choir stalls, alabaster reredos of 1883, wrought-iron screen of 1892, alabaster pulpit of 1903, font of 1879, brass eagle lectern of 1897 and the organ of 1835 by T H Harrison of Rochdale. (Sources: The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: Harmondsworth: 1974: 208; Colvin H: A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840: New Haven and London: 1995: 606).

Listing NGR: SO9382088098

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
468799
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1995), 606
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 208

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].