UPWEY MILL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1272205
Date first listed:
12-Dec-1953
Date of most recent amendment:
22-Dec-1997
Statutory Address:
UPWEY MILL, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of UPWEY MILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1272205.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2019 at 03:37:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
UPWEY MILL, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Dorset
District:
Weymouth and Portland (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SY 66250 85076

Details

WEYMOUTH

SY6685 CHURCH STREET, Upwey 873-1/5/545 (West side) 12/12/53 Upwey Mill (Formerly Listed as: CHURCH STREET, Upwey (West side) The Mill (to rear of Mill House))

GV II*

Corn mill. Dated IG 1802 on stone under hoist. Squared and coursed Portland stone, large flush quoins, slate roof. PLAN: a compact building in 4 floors plus attic, with overshot wheel fed from a leat immediately behind (to the W), and prominent projecting hoist clad and roofed in corrugated-iron. EXTERIOR: in 5 bays, the central bay with hauling doors. Windows are all 3-light horizontal bar wood casements to stone voussoirs with projecting key, but no sills. Bay 3 has a narrow pair of plank doors from a stone landing to a paired stone stair flight with simple iron rail containing a gate opposite the doors; above are plank hauling doors, and the deep projecting hoist housing on props. Low right is a very wide opening with segmental arch, to the wheel. The half-hipped gables each contain a Diocletian window with small-pane glazing, and, in the S end, a 12-pane sash at second-floor level. In the right return is a wide opening giving to the very large iron wheel, approx 7m diameter and approx 2.7m wide. Beyond is a stables and cart-shed building with corrugated-iron mansard roof; there are 2 doors with loading doors in dormers over. The rear has two 3-light casements at first and second floors, with a further fixed 9-pane at first floor; all these to wood lintels with a stop-chamfered soffit under relieving arches. Near the centre at leat level is a plank door on a high stone step, with, low to the left, a brick segmental arch to the wheel-race. The leat has dressed stone revetments adjoining the mill, and a cast-iron drop gate to the sluice. INTERIOR: not accessible for inspection, but known to be complete with machinery, as described in the previous list, with a vertical pit-wheel with wooden cogs driving a vertical shaft and horizontal wheel to 2 pairs of millstones at first floor, and gearing to the upper floor, all in a massive timber frame. The main structure appears to be a series of massive transverse beams in 5 bays. The RCHME volume has a set of drawings which include the machinery layout.



HISTORICAL NOTE: in a letter of 1910 Thomas Hardy writes: "Overcombe Mill (in The Trumpet Major) is a composite picture of Upwey and Sutton Poyntz, containing features of both". This would be very appropriate, as the Mill would be very new at the time referred to in Trumpet Major (viz 1805). The mill, which was still operating until 1991, was empty and unused at the time of survey, but, with the adjacent Mill House (qv), is of historical and architectural significance. (RCHME: Dorset, South-East: London: 1970-: 367; Scott E: The Water Mill at Upwey: Weymouth: 1989-).







Listing NGR: SY6625085076

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
467408
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset II South East, (1970), 367
Scott, E, The Water Mill at Upwey, (1989)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/06731/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Stuart Morris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].