ST MARTIN IN THE FIELDS ALMSHOUSES, NUMBERS 1-9

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1272268
Date first listed:
14-May-1974
Statutory Address:
ST MARTIN IN THE FIELDS ALMSHOUSES, NUMBERS 1-9, BAYHAM STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST MARTIN IN THE FIELDS ALMSHOUSES, NUMBERS 1-9
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1272268 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2019 at 19:53:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
ST MARTIN IN THE FIELDS ALMSHOUSES, NUMBERS 1-9, BAYHAM STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Camden (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 29081 83781

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2983NW BAYHAM STREET 798-1/77/60 (East side) 14/05/74 St Martin-in-the-Fields Almshouses, Nos.1-9 (consec)

GV II

Terraced almshouses. 1817-18. By Henry Hake Seward. For the Parish of St Martin-in-the Fields. Built by J Tomling. Yellow stock brick and slate roofs. Symmetrical 2 storey terrace. Projecting, pedimented centre (No.5) having 3 windows. Flanking houses, 2 windows each (1 blind). Centre with pink granite columns having foliated capitals and shaped imposts with trefoil enrichment supporting shallow slated roof over entrance and flanking canted bays. Panelled doors under toplights in plain surrounds. Recessed 4-pane sashes, ground floor bays with gauged red brick flat arches. Oval blind oculus in tympanum. Flanking houses with square-headed doorways, fanlights and panelled doors. Gauged brick flat arches to recessed 4-pane sashes, those above entrances being blind. Slab chimney-stacks rise from party walls. Original, shaped cast-iron rainwater heads. INTERIOR: several interiors now opened up. HISTORICAL NOTE: the almshouses were erected to house up to 70 poor widows or spinsters of the parish of St Martins-in-the-Fields. St Martin-in-the-Fields Almshouses and Chapel (qv), form a group. (Survey of London: Vol. XXIV, King's Cross Neighbourhood, St Pancras part IV: London: -1952: 136).





Listing NGR: TQ2908183781

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
476638
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Survey of London' in Survey of London - Kings Cross neighbourhood The Parish of St Pancras Part 4: Volume 24 , (1951), 136

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].